RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Towing a 42 footer… What do you think?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Towing a 42 footer… What do you think?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/21 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GO FOR IT, especially with stayin in one spot for long times. Recently went from a 42’ DP to a 45’ and in the summer we stay mainly in Public CGs without reservations. Would say this summer was NOT as busy as last summer in CO, WY, UT.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/21 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks ferndaleflyer and IvyLog, That’s been my experience as well. I don’t remember ever having a problem finding a pull thru for my motorhome and 18 ft trailer. Maybe it’s a matter of where you are, I don’t know. I always call ahead for space and NEVER have been turned away. Maybe part of the reason is I only travel during the week, never weekends. So I’m not competing with the weekend crowd. At my destination point I’ve made reservations well in advance so my space is locked in.

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/21 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 40 foot dp coach and went back to a 40 foot fiver. We only stay in full service cgs and never have had a problem finding a spot large enough. I would never let the length dictate my decision. If you do, you will regret it later on.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/21 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We pulled a 40' toyhauler for 10 years, and never had much of a problem with getting spots, a few times, but nothing awful. That being said, we now have a 38', not much smaller, but I swore I wouldn't go bigger when we went looking. A 42' would be longer than I would want. But that's just me.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/21 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

Hi folks, Found the perfect 5th wheel and it’s 42 feet. Started out looking for a 38 but it’s the 42 footer that best handles our needs. Not concerned about state parks etc. We will use an occasional parking lot on travel days but mostly RV park pull thru. When all is said and done does the extra 4 feet make that big of difference towing and in general?

We go between Georgia and Montana most summers but pretty much stay in one place. So not a lot of traveling around with the Coach once we arrive at our destination.

Thanks guys

You should be fine with that setup. Generally every private campground we've stayed at can easily accommodate that size rig.

Really nothing to worry about imo

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Ron3rd, You see 45 footers with 18’ trailers all the time and they seem to always find a place to park. That’s about 63 feet and they seem to get along just fine. Great to RV as you like isn’t it!

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/21 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My fiver is 42’ and no regrets so far. We are mostly private campgrounds, with visits to a great State Park 3-4 times a year with zero issues…

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

Hi samsontdog, I hear what you’re saying but for us 34’ does not give us the space we need. I can get our 40’ motorhome most anyplace I want to go and the same should be true for a 42’ fifth wheel. My consern is more about Drive ability?

The same is *NOT* true for a 42' 5th wheel as with your 40'MH.

For a 5th wheel you must include the Tow Vehicle in the overall length. The campground (or?) site is *not* the problem...combined length limitations in the various states is!!
(often 65' max - under that & you're good to go!).

Check the length req's for states where you will travel...[emoticon]

~

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/21 04:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several feet of a 42 5er will be over the bed and will be deducted from overall length when towing. 65 is easily attained.
I'm sure it's happened but I have no first hand knowledge of any LEO stopping a RVer and pulling out the tape.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/21 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dtank wrote:

Mondooker wrote:

Hi samsontdog, I hear what you’re saying but for us 34’ does not give us the space we need. I can get our 40’ motorhome most anyplace I want to go and the same should be true for a 42’ fifth wheel. My consern is more about Drive ability?

The same is *NOT* true for a 42' 5th wheel as with your 40'MH.

For a 5th wheel you must include the Tow Vehicle in the overall length. The campground (or?) site is *not* the problem...combined length limitations in the various states is!!
(often 65' max - under that & you're good to go!).

Check the length req's for states where you will travel...[emoticon]

~

This will NOT come into play with a 42' fiver..... There is NO WAY someone towing a 42' fiver will be over the 65' number..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Towing a 42 footer… What do you think?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.