RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Why SRW off road?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Why SRW off road?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy, that's a lot of reading.

Have both (SRW's and DRW's). Bigger camper fits and drives better on dually. Done.

Have had dozens of rocks stuck in between the duals. Anyone that hasn't, just hasn't driven enough yet. Always, ALWAYS, carry a 2# hammer.

No, duals are not as good off road. Seriously, I would never take my camper up trails that are "off road".. I take our rig up places that people cringe at...but it's not "off road". It's a gravel/dirt road that I'm confident I can get back from. It's 100k...imagine the tow bill.

Snow, no, they're not as good either. I drive in snow more than probably 95% of the TC'ers. The rig does fine. No, single wheels are almost always better.

Different needs, different tools. Wouldn't ever think about putting our camper on a SWR.

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

robseg

San Jose, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/21 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me I off road in sand a lot, DRW will get stuck easier in the sand. I don't have a large camper so it wasn't a big deal to me. If I did have a large camper i would have gone with a DRW.

2005 F-350 SRW 6.0L 4X4 Line-X Torq Lifts
2006 Lance 835
2006 Sand Car 1989 Honda Pilot
2005 Honda EU3000is

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If nobody's hit on it yet, it's real simple:

SRW cuts two ruts. DRW cuts SIX ruts.

The rear wheels of an SRW will follow right in the path of the front wheels, generally providing less resistance and more assistance as long as there is a bottom.

The rear wheels of the DRW will have to make their own ruts, and squash the rut from the front wheel closed in the process. This takes a LOT more power and causes a LOT more drag.

I had a roommate who was an EMT for a native reservation in rural Canada. Can't remember if he was from Alberta or Saskatchewan, as it's been 20 years since I've seen him. He hated the "mods," the ambulances that were modular units set on DRW van chassis, because of this. A straight SRW van ambulance would go through mud where the "mod" would get stuck.

My own personal experience with this verifies his statement. I tried to forge through the snow with my DRW to bring it up front in late march. Couldn't do it. Even with 4x4. It would hit this snowbank and spin out. My 2WD SRW 1/2 ton walked right through the same snowbank without spinning a wheel.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Why SRW off road?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.