|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Mexico's Highway Of Death

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/21 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Noticed in Chris' link that the FBI in San Antonio has gotten involved since a family of American citizens has disappeared after a visit to relatives. Hope they are actively pursuing this instead of just putting out bulletins.

playaboy

riviera maya

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally, I prefer crossing at Anzalduas. Laredo is a sh-thole. Mcallen has better shopping, restaurants, and the like (if the businesses survived the covid restrictions). The autopista from Monterrey to Reynosa is usually deserted. Same thing driving to anywhere near the border. Traffic is extremely light. That makes my the hair stand up on the back of my neck those last 2 hours driving. I look behind me as much as I look in front of me.

Especially now that the border has become VERY porous. Lots of drugs and people crossing north, money and guns crossing south. That means the mafia have ramped up operations all along the border, on both sides of the line.

I pay attention to the news sources and locals then avoid known hot spots.

Every route is safe until you find yourself in an unsafe situation.

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/21 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THank you Chris:
Readers of this forum should realize that this is not your father's Mexico. Mexico has changed. After Salinas and NAFTA the country changed for the Good. More jobs, better roads and a new middle class. But with all of that it did not take long for the Cartels to grow into huge corporations. Lots of crime. But the Cartels never really bothered tourists of any kind. I suppose that was petty crime and they are looking for millions of $ not a wallet with $100. But over the years petty crime grew. Lots of wanabbees. Car Jacking and kidnapping has become common. Robbery with violence as well. So all the posters who always come on and say something like" Crime is everywhere. Even in the USA you can be robbed". That statement no longer carries any weight. With the new President who thinks hugs are better than bullets Mexico is not a safe place. Sure you can go to Penasco or San Carlos , even Baja with no problems. But going past Guaymas past on 15 is certainly not recommended. Guerrero is terrible. Michoacan too. When Chris tells you that an area in the East is bad, believe him. Hard to find anything bad that has happened to RV'rs as there are almost zero RV travellers since the pandemic began.

northsloper

North & South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/21 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've traveled between Mazatlan and Tucson a 1/2 dozen times from March to June this year in both our car and Class A RV. Pretty much the same as it has been for years. The exceptions are more fuel stops available & Sonoran state tolls mostly closed. 15D is in pretty good shape Heading back to our place on Isla de la Piedra in October

playaboy

riviera maya

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris lives in Mexico and is commenting on an area he lives in. I PAY ATTENTION TO HIM.

Moishe lives in Canada.

3 weeks ago, I drove a car from Playa del Carmen to Ciudad Acuna on my way to LA. I am in the middle of a road trip that has taken me up 15D from GDL to Vegas and then up to Idaho. I have made several trips into Michoacan this year where I bought my new diesel pickup. I have driven to Zihua a couple of times (where I shared a meal with TalleyHo and spouse) and I live in Jalisco.

Zero RV'ers? Maybe zero Canadian RV'ers. Roca Azul ran a couple of caravans this year. I have seen some European groups when on the road. There was a Mexican caravan running around the Veracruz mountains last month.

Only 10% of Mexico is a no go zone. For traveling the rest of Mexico, be careful, be alert and stay aware of your surroundings.

Come on down and enjoy all that Mexico offers (if our governments allow you to travel).

* This post was edited 08/10/21 07:13am by an administrator/moderator *

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only 10% of Mexico is a no go zone. For traveling the rest of Mexico, be careful, be alert and stay aware of your surroundings.

This particular comment has always been true about traveling in Mexico and MOST countries!!!

We were warned when we first started traveling here in the 1980's that we were to avoid Michoacan and Cuilican, and to beware of vados on the Baja, because there could/would be bad guys there to shake us down.

Nothing bad has happened to us, but we have had some extremely interesting things occur.

Once again, USE COMMON SENSE! If someone who lives and travels here shares that there is a problem in an area, and the reports support that, listen to them!!!

iguana07

Camarillo CA. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/21 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been saying this has been happening inMexico for years! Now people on this forum seem to have changed their opinion on Mexico travel. Don’t get me wrong I love Mexico and can’t wait to go back, but this kind of trouble has been going on for years. The biggest problem was that it was never broadcast over the media. Only when a tourist is involved did the news spread, but the crime on paisanos was seldom reported. So it didn’t seem so bad. Call me unlucky but I have been close to shootings, killings and amongst cartel members, so many instances , can’t remember them all. I should say call me lucky because we never got more than a few scares.
IMHO the biggest threat for us tourist is getting from A to B and back, once at location much safer.

Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 1965 my friends and I drove my dodge dart all the way from central Texas to Acapulco with only one minor incident in Monterrey where I had to buy back my hubcaps. Also 4 flat tires on the two way trip. The Acapulco Hilton and the beaches were great fun.

I exercise common sense and now avoid all large cities in the USA and therefore

* This post was edited 08/10/21 08:01am by NamMedevac 70 *

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 11:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many of you Mexico travelers were traversing the road between Monterrey and Nuevo Laredo sixty plus years ago?

Back then the stretch between Monterrey and Nuevo Laredo was known as a very dangerous road, specially from Monclova to Nuevo Laredo or the reverse this news is not new, it has been known for a long time.

When I had vacation from school I would accompany my dad to Nuevo Laredo to receive equipment from the U.S.A. for the telephone company and follow the 18 wheeler's convoy accompanied by the military from Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey a two lane road no toll road, back then there were no "narcos" and the "bandidos" did not engage the military .

The other place that you avoided was the State of Guerrero and the only more or less safe road to Acapulco was from Cuernavaca to Chilpancingo and then to Acapulco from there you went along the coast to Zihuatanejo.

One did not go camping in the sierras or anywhere else in Guerrero the bad part on this road was between Cuernavaca and Chilpancingo other wise known as "El Cañon del Zopilote" (the vultures canyon) that is were most of the "asaltos" took place at night.

Today the whole country has gone to ruin because of the drug use, the narcos and the corrupt----- "GOVERNMENTS!"

navegator

playaboy

riviera maya

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navegator wrote:

How many of you Mexico travelers were traversing the road between Monterrey and Nuevo Laredo sixty plus years ago?

Back then the stretch between Monterrey and Nuevo Laredo was known as a very dangerous road, specially from Monclova to Nuevo Laredo or the reverse this news is not new, it has been known for a long time.

When I had vacation from school I would accompany my dad to Nuevo Laredo to receive equipment from the U.S.A. for the telephone company and follow the 18 wheeler's convoy accompanied by the military from Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey a two lane road no toll road, back then there were no "narcos" and the "bandidos" did not engage the military .

The other place that you avoided was the State of Guerrero and the only more or less safe road to Acapulco was from Cuernavaca to Chilpancingo and then to Acapulco from there you went along the coast to Zihuatanejo.

One did not go camping in the sierras or anywhere else in Guerrero the bad part on this road was between Cuernavaca and Chilpancingo other wise known as "El Cañon del Zopilote" (the vultures canyon) that is were most of the "asaltos" took place at night.

Today the whole country has gone to ruin because of the drug use, the narcos and the corrupt----- "GOVERNMENTS!"

navegator

It is sad that the roads you mention as being dangerous 60 years ago are still dangerous. Areas that were problems then are still problems today.

The only thing different is US media coverage occasionally tell a story about Mexico. Then the gringos go "mira, mira,mira!!!!!

The more Mexico changes the more it stays the same

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Mexico's Highway Of Death
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.