RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Removing clear silicone caulk from exterior fiberglass

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Removing clear silicone caulk from exterior fiberglass

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
GMH

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought these for removing my decals. With something like these, you may be able to scrape 99% of it off without damaging the fiberglass. Then maybe a commercial silicone remover solution? If not, naptha may work. They work great, but the edge doesn’t last long, so buy lots of them.

[image]

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Silicone has become the generic term for caulk used by too many people. If it is truly silicone none NONE of the products sold as silicone removers will do anything but remove money from your pockets! If they do remove anything it is not silicone!

Now don't take my word for this, take a cutter of some kind and cut some big chunks of it off and put it in cups with recommended removers such as vinegar, WD 40, isopropal alcohol, gasoline, xylene etc and see which one actually works. I found zero.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

If it is the silicon caulk designed for bath tubs, you have a fight on your hands !

If it is silicon-ized latex caulk it should come off easily.

If I get time in the next few days I'm going to remove the silicone from the water heater access door thumbscrews (I said "everything" is gooped) and see what we think it is...
[emoticon]

ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/21 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over countless years of working on cars and now rvs, I've found virtually not much of anything will do a good job of removing silicone caulk except for two things: gasoline and Mechanica Silicone Caulk Remover. I know, gasoline is a smelly flammable material but it works and it's relatively cheap and accessible. Just wet a rag with it and place it on the silicone for a few minutes and it will start to crumble into little pieces and eventually the area cleans up well. The Mechanica is sold at Ace Hardware and works well but is slow and messy

dapperdan

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I watched an RV detailer take clear silicone caulk off of a DRV Mobile Suites this spring while attending a DRV rally. The gentleman's name was Leon Kirby, he's known as "The Nomad Detailer". Go on You Tube and watch his videos, he's good at what he does!

Leon demonstrated caulk removal using just regular old Mineral Spirits! The key according to Leon is to NOT be in a huge hurry removing the old caulk! It does take time but is VERY effective! It was amazing to watch him go over and over the seams with the mineral spirits and "soaking" the old caulk. With a plastic knife he removed huge sections (pieces) of the silicone by simply "working" the spirits into the seam!

To do a 40' fifth wheel Leon claims it will take him at least 8 hours and he'll use at least a gallon of mineral spirits! His programm is to let the RV sit over night after removing the old caulk so it has a chance to "off gas", next day is spent caulking the whole rig, which obviously doesn't take near as long to do as the removal.

Watch and learn...... You Tube is your friend!

Dan

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Dan I’ll check out Leon’s videos

frankwp

Calgary, AB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That was a good video, but it's concerning that he uses "silicone" as a generic name for silicone sealant. Lexel doesn't even make a silicone sealant.

2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scrap off all the old silicon or other caulk. Then use a scotch pad and gasoline. Then bon ami or barkeepers friend again with a scotch pad. Then mineral spirits and a shop rag. If the surfaces are still slick and shiny, consider a light sanding with fine grit paper. Then use dicor or a similar quality sealant. Inspect annually but no work should be needed for decades.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Removing clear silicone caulk from exterior fiberglass
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.