RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a new 25ft, 4 season TT - Are these high quality?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Buying a new 25ft, 4 season TT - Are these high quality?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
AdvancedQs

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

Maybe I missed it, but what makes Cruiser "4-season"? I see their claims to "extended season" camping by having ducted heat to the underbelly, but I don't see any insulation values. Do they keep all plumbing out of exterior walls? At the dump valves enclosed?

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a nice product. I'm just not convinced it's all-season capability is the same as Northwoods/ORV.

BTW - It looks like maybe AF finally has modernized their interiors a bit?

It’s a good question. I was reading they insulated below and they gave r values for different walls and stuff.

I’d prefer real 4 season of course.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quality, features, vs price is all about compromises.
If you are accustomed to a certain level of build, I think you will be unlikely to accept a lower level unit.
Check some other brands, raise your target price some, and consider them in the mix. Grand Design, K-Z, Winnebago, and maybe the Cougar line from Keystone as well as the Jayco lines.
It's not an end all or perfect measure, but the lines I just mentioned seem to get higher ratings and better reviews than a lot of others, and Warranty is also a measure to consider, a line with 2-3 years indicates at least a little more faith in their product than one with only one year.
Happy hunting

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/21 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no such thing as a 4 season trailer. Extended perhaps but down to 20 degrees and less, no way. I have read about people pulling their trailers up to the ski hills. If you read close enough, they talk about draining the lines, carrying water in jugs and using the facilities at the hill. I have been down to the high 20s in mine and needed to keep the heat running not to freeze up. Don't recommend this.

My cousin has an Arctic Fox. Probably the most solidly built trailer I have seen. It is heavy and expensive but very well made in my opinion.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

AdvancedQs

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aftermath wrote:

There is no such thing as a 4 season trailer. Extended perhaps but down to 20 degrees and less, no way. I have read about people pulling their trailers up to the ski hills. If you read close enough, they talk about draining the lines, carrying water in jugs and using the facilities at the hill. I have been down to the high 20s in mine and needed to keep the heat running not to freeze up. Don't recommend this.

My cousin has an Arctic Fox. Probably the most solidly built trailer I have seen. It is heavy and expensive but very well made in my opinion.

Yes, I have an arctic fox now. Maybe I’ll just keep it. It’s so ugly inside though.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/21 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AdvancedQs wrote:

Yes, I have an arctic fox now. Maybe I’ll just keep it. It’s so ugly inside though.

In terms of quality of build and design for colder weather, I think its pretty hard to beat a Northwoods trailer. They aren't the typical Elkhart, Indiana RV that is slapped together as quick and cheap as possible. The Nash and Arctic Fox lines are purpose built, they are built more solid and built with better insulation and windows (assuming you get a "cold weather" package). A true 4 season camper will have dual pane windows, it will have electric heating pads on your tanks and it will have additional insulation.

Most of the generic RVs don't have all those features. If you can find one that does, you will see that it is probably the same cost as the Northwoods product.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If yours is ugly, maybe you can paint the cabinets, change the floor or reupholster it to suit your needs. I think if you move away from your current trailer, you will be deeply disappointed in the Shadow Cruiser. I like that it has Azdel composite siding... but I don't see anything else that makes it close to what you are looking for, except it might be prettier in your mind.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

AdvancedQs

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

AdvancedQs wrote:

In terms of quality of build and design for colder weather, I think its pretty hard to beat a Northwoods trailer. They aren't the typical Elkhart, Indiana RV that is slapped together as quick and cheap as possible. The Nash and Arctic Fox lines are purpose built, they are built more solid and built with better insulation and windows (assuming you get a "cold weather" package). A true 4 season camper will have dual pane windows, it will have electric heating pads on your tanks and it will have additional insulation.

Most of the generic RVs don't have all those features. If you can find one that does, you will see that it is probably the same cost as the Northwoods product.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If yours is ugly, maybe you can paint the cabinets, change the floor or reupholster it to suit your needs. I think if you move away from your current trailer, you will be deeply disappointed in the Shadow Cruiser. I like that it has Azdel composite siding... but I don't see anything else that makes it close to what you are looking for, except it might be prettier in your mind.

Ok. Fair enough. Maybe I need to remodel this Arctic Fox. I have a second thread on where to work on the camper going and as you can tell, I’m trying to decide between remodeling the Arctic Fox and getting a new “disposable” trailer.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spent a week in our Arctic Fox with lows to 7 degrees with winds at 35 mph. We lost the water in the kitchen and hot water for a couple hours, and that was it. We were nice and warm inside.

I believe they are as close to four seasons as you can get. If anyone wants to disagree with it, I am willing to discuss it, but I know what we have done.

Also, I don't understand what is wrong with their interiors. I am not into fluff, I prefer function, so there is that.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Northwood has putrid colors. Countertops look like diaper poo. Very bland. No reason to not have nicer colors as all those products can be ordered in other colors and tones. At least NW got rid of the grandma style window side curtains. They're a PITA when sliding the blinds up and down. Looks like NW went to roller shades which is good.
NW's color schemes was one of the reasons we went with ORV.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Northwood has putrid colors. Countertops look like diaper poo. Very bland. No reason to not have nicer colors as all those products can be ordered in other colors and tones. At least NW got rid of the grandma style window side curtains. They're a PITA when sliding the blinds up and down. Looks like NW went to roller shades which is good.
NW's color schemes was one of the reasons we went with ORV.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

This is hilarious! But true.
Ive not looked at new ones, but our mid 2000s AF 860s both looked like a custom home circa 1986! Nice campers otherwise.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, Heartland seems decent quality to me. Ours is still like new so can’t comment on longevity. Wall paneling seems thin and the converter is a cheap wfco but the camper is solid otherwise. Nice cabinets and plenty of good features.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Buying a new 25ft, 4 season TT - Are these high quality?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.