RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: I think I have a bad battery.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> I think I have a bad battery.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I have a bad battery. I topped up the battery with deionzed water, set it up to charge in my garage on a wooden bench. The next day, I noticed a rotten egg smell and the case of the battery was warm. I stopped charging it. Would I be correct in thinking the battery is bad? Am I right there is no reasonable way to bring it back? Good thing I have an extra one.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is possible you overcharged your battery depending on type of bat charger you have and the state of the bat just before charging.

To begin I carry a cheap little Voltage battery reader from Autozone that tells me in letters and colored lights if my Battery is fully charged at or above 12.5 volts and only fair charge with a yellow light (below 12.5) and in a poor state with a red light. Just touch the red prong to positive terminal and black prong to the negative terminal. Same gadget will tell me if my alternator is working properly and charging the battery when engine is running. Carry one for each of my 3 trucks and it has saved me from being stranded in remote areas with a weak or dead battery.

There are more expensive fancy gadgets for checking your battery as others will be happy to tell you.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 11:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Likely it is a doorstop.

Here is what might be tried.

1. measure the voltage. If it is below 10 volts. Stop and use it for a core exchange.

2. if the voltage is ok, then barely cover the plates, and attempt to charge the battery at a low amp rate.

3. after the battery has charged for quite some time (24 hours), let it rest for 24 hours and check the voltage. If it is 12.5 or higher, then check the plates to make sure they are covered, and do an equalization charge.

But very likely #1 will be the path to follow.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Careful with that axe Eugene!!
You likely overfilled the water. Then charged the battery indoors. No mention of voltage. No mention of charge amps. For real man be careful or take a few minutes to read up on charging wet cell batteries. You probably sat in the garage inhaling some nasty fumes.

I have one of those smart chargers that go between 2/4/6 amps.
I did not fill it to the brim; about 1/4 inch down.
I also wasn't in the garage any longer than enough to figure out the smell was the battery.

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Likely it is a doorstop.

Here is what might be tried.

1. measure the voltage. If it is below 10 volts. Stop and use it for a core exchange.

2. if the voltage is ok, then barely cover the plates, and attempt to charge the battery at a low amp rate.

3. after the battery has charged for quite some time (24 hours), let it rest for 24 hours and check the voltage. If it is 12.5 or higher, then check the plates to make sure they are covered, and do an equalization charge.

But very likely #1 will be the path to follow.

It is old and a starting deep cell battery. No love loss on it.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/21 03:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swimmer_spe wrote:

I topped up the battery with deionzed water, set it up to charge in my garage on a wooden bench.

When charging it is best to place the battery in a pan to contain possible leaks. Placing a battery on wood is an old wives tale that just won't go away.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/21 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exact thing happened to us, but since our batteries were new in 2013, we replaced all four. In our case, we use distilled water and painstakingly took care of them, not overfilling, not overcharging. Then we took our unit in for extensive cosmetic work and it was in the shop for 6 months. We reminded them to monitor the batteries. On one trip in we noticed the front bay, where the batteries are stored, open. After bringing it home and dealing with the CO2 alarm going off and checking everything for a possible cause, we narrowed it down to the batteries off gassing, and boy were they off gassing. It's possible the techs didn't charge them correctly and they had the front bay open to keep the CO2 alarm from going off. Regardless, we replaced them all as 8 years is a long life. No odor and the CO2 alarms is now silent.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/21 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

swimmer_spe wrote:

I topped up the battery with deionzed water, set it up to charge in my garage on a wooden bench.

When charging it is best to place the battery in a pan to contain possible leaks. Placing a battery on wood is an old wives tale that just won't go away.

Never heard that before. I had to look it up. In the early days, batteries had wooden casings. Placing them on cement floors could cause the wood to draw up moisture causing it to warp. The warping would cause the inside to break and therefore leak. Not a problem with modern day batteries.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

QCMan

Independent Republic of Horry

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem may be because deionized water was used in place of distilled water. They are not the same.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

QCMan wrote:

The problem may be because deionized water was used in place of distilled water. They are not the same.

Google your fears away, it's perfectly fine to use deionized or distilled water.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> I think I have a bad battery.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.