|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Opinions on diesel vs. gasoline

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drew wrote "From a maintenance and repair and engine life perspective, the gas engines are just fine. They're unlikely to be worn out in a motorhome, and certainly not before the house part is very very tired and well-used."
Absolutely. The V-10 has been a proven engine that can easily take 300K with regular maintenance. I personally would not go with the new engine Ford put out until it proves itself. As always the public becomes the testing grounds for what works and what doesn't.

Don't spend $$ on a diesel because you see the difference in mileage ratings. As soon as it goes in for service your $$ saved goes to the mechanic. My Cambria ,30ft. towed either my Jeep or a 16 ft. trailer loaded heavy with no problem. Hills are hills, as was said, how fast do you want to go up hills.
I had my eye on a super C but never drove one to see what the engine noise would be like. That vehicle would need to go to a truck shop for maintenance. Tires? How much are they alone.
Rent what you have in mind for a weekend, money well spent.

cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a super c funmover 39c with c7 engine. Loud doghouse but not too bad. That was an 04 and when diesels started turning less reliable. Had a heui pump main shaft cavitate and send metal shards into injectors. 6200 bill, warranty. Apparently things haven't gotten much better, camp buddy told me last week his common rail Dodge Cummins did something similar. He was out of warranty.

Purely anecdotal, most of the vehicles I see broke on interstates these days are large trucks and a good number of diesels. Considering the numbers of cars out there, I find that interesting. I wouldn't buy a new diesel unless I had to. Gotta call a guy with a PhD to fix anything out of the ordinary. Not every station has diesel. Not every dealership or common repair shop can fix your brand of diesel. Almost every town with a dealer has a Ford shop. I also don't miss needing a truck stop to fill up both side tanks. I get 8,9 mpg on the '17 v10 towing a jeep. Good enough. Small enough to get into campgrounds I want.

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

A diesel in a Class C is a lot different than a diesel in a Class A. All the noise and heat is in front of you in a Class C, but far behind you in a Class A DP. I love diesels, but don't want it in my face.

Noise and heat wont go away just because it's a gas burner. The newer diesels aren't as loud as the old ones. And a Super C on a medium duty truck chassis will be easier to work on that a Ford or GM van chassis.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

BillyandKris

Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/21 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanking everyone for replies and awaiting more. Interesting reading. To clarify: we tow a 29.5 Arctic Fox FW(built heavy) with a 2017 Ford F250. We are only interested in the Nexus Super C Wraith 32W because that's the shortest Super C out there that doesn't have a "fold up" bed or a Jayco Greyhawk 29MV only with the NEW Ford engine. BTW I AM the wife!! LOL

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There’s resale too.
Most Super C owners are towing something. From my causal observations anyway.
Diesel = better resale. Likely way better in a Super C

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it matters to you. Compare insuring , repairing and parts cost of a super C to a Greyhawk E450.

kwplot34

home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/21 12:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had several class C with the V10 engine, the engines never gave us any problems, But, they were noisy, lacked power going up hills, no room between the seats because of the dog house, put a lot of extra heat in the cab, always down shifting. Now we have a Super C, a Thor Omni XG32 on the Ford F550 cab and chassis with 6.7L diesel, It drives and handles so much better than the van chassis, it's much quieter, plenty of room between the seats, no heat in the cab from the engine, rarely down shifts and goes up and down hill's or mountains with ease.
Would not own a gasser again, night and day difference.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 02:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super C with a 176 inch wheelbase would be hard to drive. A 26 or 27 foot drives as if it were a full size car.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/21 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Size versus chassis type does matter ... our V10 24 ft. Class C on it's overkill E450 drives very well:

1. Cab does not heat up due to built-in heat shields and floor air conditioning.
2. Pulls our 12-13K lb. total weight just fine due to it's high differential ratio, and we pass plenty of crawling diesels in the mountains.
3. Has big brake swept areas.
4. Has a large diameter driveshaft for no vibration.
5. Has a strong frame to prevent frame twisting on rough roads.
6. Has good side-to-side stability due to a wide rear dually stance versus it's height, plus it's heavy suspension.
7. Cruising engine speed is at a reasonable ~ 2200 RPM, so we can't hear or feel the V10 and I can control downshifting via my gas foot and it's convenient tow-haul mode button.

No way would I want a heavy diesel engine in our small and nimble motorhome that can be repaired/serviced just about anywhere, anytime ... affordably.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Amazon has come to the realization regarding the Sprinters. They are replacing them with the Dodge PM and Ford Transit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Opinions on diesel vs. gasoline
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.