|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Opinions on diesel vs. gasoline

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyandKris wrote:

...BTW I AM the wife!! LOL

Ok, my apologies. But now I have to ask...are you Billy or Kris? LOL [emoticon]

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (24-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (20), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/21 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

I think Amazon has come to the realization regarding the Sprinters. They are replacing them with the Dodge PM and Ford Transit.

If the part says MB on it the cost goes up dramatically. Getting them serviced is another issue. As was mentioned, a ford v-10 can be serviced and repaired by any mechanic worth his salt, MB, not too much.
price tires, brakes etc on a super c.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

I think Amazon has come to the realization regarding the Sprinters. They are replacing them with the Dodge PM and Ford Transit.

Around here they have been replaced by UPS type trucks,also at the MB prep center near me they had maybe 100 of them trucked in,painted,ready to go,plus more parked at the Long Beach Airport lot.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first choice for a Class B is the gas engine and for a Class C built on a 4500 Class chassis. The Mercedes diesel engine is very reliable but it is only available with the Sprinter 3500 chassis so the OCCC is less than half that of a E-450 chassis. Huge difference betwween a GVWR of 11,030 lbs as with the Mercedes Sprinter 3500 and a GVWR of 12,500 and 14.500 with the Ford E-450 chassis.

With our 2021 Navion 24D the OCCc is only 886 lbs which includes the weight of my wife and I and our e-bikes on a rack attached to the hitch receiver, clothing, cookware, food, and gear, leaving an allowance of less than 140 lbs for fresh water, grey water, and and black waste. With only 15 gallons of fresh water and empty gray and black holding tank, we are at 100% of the OCCC of the motorhome.

Where the diesel engine can help is with added range from getting more miles per gallon but the Sprinter chassis have a small gas tank as this platform is designed for use as a commercial van and not for motorhomes.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wintersun wrote:

My first choice for a Class B is the gas engine and for a Class C built on a 4500 Class chassis. The Mercedes diesel engine is very reliable but it is only available with the Sprinter 3500 chassis so the OCCC is less than half that of a E-450 chassis. Huge difference betwween a GVWR of 11,030 lbs as with the Mercedes Sprinter 3500 and a GVWR of 12,500 and 14.500 with the Ford E-450 chassis.

With our 2021 Navion 24D the OCCc is only 886 lbs which includes the weight of my wife and I and our e-bikes on a rack attached to the hitch receiver, clothing, cookware, food, and gear, leaving an allowance of less than 140 lbs for fresh water, grey water, and and black waste. With only 15 gallons of fresh water and empty gray and black holding tank, we are at 100% of the OCCC of the motorhome.

Where the diesel engine can help is with added range from getting more miles per gallon but the Sprinter chassis have a small gas tank as this platform is designed for use as a commercial van and not for motorhomes.

Yep, you nailed it!!

IMHO, the Ford E450 and Chevy 4500 designs are much better suited for Class C motorhome use. They are the truck series above the Mercedes chassis, of course.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/21 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love gas with a 32 gallon tank in my truck. It is also so useful such as my portable camping generator, etc.

* This post was edited 08/21/21 09:25am by NamMedevac 70 *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

I love gas with a 32 gallon tank in my truck. It is also so useful such as my portable camping generator, etc.

Huh?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/21 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyandKris, We have a pretty heavy Class C with the Ford V-10. Performance is OK, certainly not great. Fuel mileage is abysmal, especially when towing.

My biggest complaint is sitting on top of a V-10 gas burner turning anywhere from 3500 to 5500 rpm when encountering a grade. While I may hear the diesel, listening to 1500 to 2700 rpm would be a rather pleasant change! JMO. memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/21 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not let our Class C motorhome's V10 rev past around 4000 RPM on grades. I just stay in the right hand lane, or on two lanes roads pull off periodically so others can pass.

This works best on the multiple-lane highways/freeways/Interstates that have a lot of big rig traffic. With my V10 revving no higher than around 4000 RPM, max, on grades, I usually find our motorhome moseying comfortably up grades right along with the big rigs. This makes for low stress, lower V10 noise, lower engine wear, and best-as-possible V10 gas mileage on grades.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/21 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

I do not let our Class C motorhome's V10 rev past around 4000 RPM on grades. I just stay in the right hand lane, or on two lanes roads pull off periodically so others can pass.

This works best on the multiple-lane highways/freeways/Interstates that have a lot of big rig traffic. With my V10 revving no higher than around 4000 RPM, max, on grades, I usually find our motorhome moseying comfortably up grades right along with the big rigs. This makes for low stress, lower V10 noise, lower engine wear, and best-as-possible V10 gas mileage on grades.

You’re more patient than I! ?? I’m accustomed to towing our 5th wheel (20K) with our diesel pickup, and passing the semi’s and most often maintaining the speed limit, or my chosen 65 mph.

I even considered the diesel conversion for ours, but couldn’t justify, as we’re not using the “c” nearly enough! memtb

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Opinions on diesel vs. gasoline
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.