|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with a 2022 Ford 150 3.5 EcoBoost

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those who cannot read your original post where you spec’d out the truck and trailer very completely and succinctly, and those who are already bemoaning the healthy tow rating (at least you can read unlike the former group), get a life, or at least stop hypothesizing about things that aren’t pertinent to the question.
OP is literally specing out the most robust new 1/2 ton on the market and it WILL pull the aforementioned trailer VERY well with plenty of power and capacity to spare.

The truck will pull as good or better than any of the early 2000s diesels which are still quite capable. No worries OP.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am pulling a lot more weight that with my 2016 F150 Ecoboost and it pulls just fine. What concerns me more than the weight is the frontal area. 11ft high and 8ft is a lot of frontal area catching a lot of wind. All engines are going to pay a serious fuel penalty for that and the only real solution is to drive more slowly. A camper shell might improve your fuel economy by keeping the wind off of the front of the camper somewhat.

Due to frontal area I would expect you to get around 9mpg at 65-70mph. There are probably some people here actually pulling a similar trailer that can tell you they are getting. Most people with a camper that size are only pulling occasionally and the Ecoboost will be great for that.

I find the engine braking on my Ecoboost to be pretty good, on par with the V10 and 460V8 I used to pull with. With that much frontal area holding you back I don't think that engine braking is going to be an issue for you. As for pulling, the Ecoboost pulls better than either the V10 or the 460. It has plenty of power and I find that mine pulls fine on regular gas.

When ordering the truck be sure that you spec out the mirrors that you want. On an F150 the trailer tow mirrors used to be specced out separately from the trailer tow package. If you are pulling a horse trailer that is only 7ft wide you don't need the trailer tow mirrors and they can get in the way. You probably want them and they may be legally required with the 8ft wide travel trailer.

* This post was edited 08/12/21 09:43am by Groover *

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking or terminolgy but engine braking is not comparable to exhaust braking. My V-10 could not slow my trailer like my exhaust brake equipped diesel truck.
I'm not knocking the Eco boost it has plenty of power but no exhust brake can be a deal breaker for some.

* This post was edited 08/12/21 03:16pm by Lantley *

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Due to frontal area I would expect you to get around 9mpg at 65-70mph. There are probably some people here actually pulling a similar trailer that can tell you they are getting. Most people with a camper that size are only pulling occasionally and the Ecoboost will be great for that.

My brother in law has a similar size travel trailer that he generally tows with his Powerstroke. Problem is he recently screwed himself out of that ride with a fourth kid, so he occasionally pulls it with a new Ecoboost Expedition. First time out was into a stiff headwind on the freeway and he got a little over 5mpg. Minus the headwind it might be a couple better than that. I think 9mpg with an Ecoboost and that trailer is a bit optimistic.

I agree with the plenty of power part.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Confusing ICE braking between a gasser and diesel

Diesels have exhaust braking via an exhaust valve (butterfly is the norm) that uses the piston compression & exhaust motion as braking power.

What that means is that the diesel cycle's higher compression ratio resistance is increased with the exhaust partially to totally blocked. That has the piston face a bigger brick wall during both the compression stroke and exhaust stroke.

On a gasser, it is just pumping losses from having to turn (crank) the whole drive train faster without fuel.

Therefore, bigger gasser engines has more mass to 'crank', will have more engine braking.

Of course, the diff & tranny gears plays. As lower gears (higher numeric) will try to force the engine crank to spin faster (the rotating mass is forced to turn faster)

A tiny displacement ECO will not have that much mass to force and will not provide as much resistance as a larger displacement.

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just towed my 9000lb FW 200 miles this morning traveling 65-70mph when possible. Little to no wind, half flat and half Texas Hill Country. I averaged 10.2 mpg on the lieometer. I'll say it tries to engine brake but really doesn't help as much as my old 4.6L little V8 did. Engine breaking is not an EcoBoost strong point.
Had a fun day on the road but now we have to go visit her family. I'd rather be towing.

* This post was edited 08/12/21 02:30pm by 2112 *

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/21 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of good info, still researching with the Ford dealer. Also researching the 250 but leaning towards the 150 for now at least.

For the time being going to put a temporary hold on my future Rv project as I'm leaving shortly for a camping trip to Cooperstown NY and then onto Lake Ontario. YEAH! [emoticon]

I will post later when I look into this more

Thanks
Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

I…Engine breaking is not an EcoBoost strong point….
It’s night and day different with the 10 spd transmission.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

On a gasser, it is just pumping losses from having to turn (crank) the whole drive train faster without fuel.

Therefore, bigger gasser engines has more mass to 'crank', will have more engine braking.

Of course, the diff & tranny gears plays. As lower gears (higher numeric) will try to force the engine crank to spin faster (the rotating mass is forced to turn faster)

A tiny displacement ECO will not have that much mass to force and will not provide as much resistance as a larger displacement.

This is not how engine braking works. It's not as good as a diesel exhaust brake but it's not simply more internal friction from the engine turning faster.

The term "engine braking" refers to the braking effect that occurs in gasoline engines when the accelerator pedal is released. This causes fuel injection to cease and the throttle valve to close almost completely. The restriction causes a strong manifold vacuum which the cylinders have to work against, sapping much of the potential energy out of the system over time and producing the majority of the engine-braking effect. This vacuum manifold effect can often be amplified by a down-shift, which induces a faster spinning drivechain to engage with the engine. While some of the braking force is produced due to friction in the drive train, this is negligible compared to the effect from the manifold vacuum caused by the air-flow restriction.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

alexleblanc

Shediac N.B

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/21 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i towed a 7700 GVWR 29ft TT back in 2011-2013 with a 2011 F1500 Ecoboost max tow and i felt it was a very well matched combination, yes a 250/2500 will tow better but i was not unhappy with the performance at all. Engine braking would be the only place that it fell a little short.

TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with a 2022 Ford 150 3.5 EcoBoost
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.