|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Just experienced our first Non-refundable campground

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You knew the cancellation policy up front. You chose to cancel, your loss.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

We all make our plans and commit to reservations based on our personnel iteneraries however when outside forces such as covid closures or a wild fire, which was not anticipated/expected by anyone at the time the reservations were made impact our plans consideration shoud be made.
If the bridge leading to the CG collapses should I be charged a cancellation fee?
What if the collapsed bridge causes me to take a 500 mile detour? Must I drive aound to avoid cancellation? If the government shuts down my event due to covid should I have to eat my resrvation.
At some point the CG needs to be reasonable in their expectations of the customer.
If the Campground is in Wyoming and the bridge that collapsed causing your detour is in Ohio then yes, you should eat your reservation. Having owned parks for many years, we have heard every excuse imaginable as to why we should waive cancellation fees. When someone's parents have died for the third time you get suspicious. When they tell you they are hospitalized and cannot travel the 1000 miles to the park and then when you call them to ask where you need forward a package that arrived they tell you they will stop by to pick it up in a couple of hours you realize people LIE. We therefore took the position that we are not the judge and jury of excuses. No Exceptions.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

Having owned parks for many years, we have heard every excuse imaginable as to why we should waive cancellation fees. When someone's parents have died for the third time you get suspicious. When they tell you they are hospitalized and cannot travel the 1000 miles to the park and then when you call them to ask where you need forward a package that arrived they tell you they will stop by to pick it up in a couple of hours you realize people LIE. We therefore took the position that we are not the judge and jury of excuses. No Exceptions.

The one time we had to cancel a one night stay at the last minute was when my mother died years ago and we needed to cut our trip short. I called the KOA we were booked at for the night to let them know we wouldn't be getting there, just as a courtesy since I knew we would lose the entire one night payment per the KOA policy. I was quite surprised several days later when we received a very nice condolence card in the mail from the park along with a coupon good for two nights at their park or one night at any other KOA. Several months later we booked a one week stay at their park, one of the few times we've stayed more than a day or two at commercial parks.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

RKW

Four Corners, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I refuse to book an RV spot from an outfit that has such a strict no refund policy.

Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250
  • 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS
  • Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

• 12th Man Fan

Flower Mound , Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand why parks have to have these policies but I also believe if they are able to rent that space on the day or days in question they should provide a refund minus a reasonable cancellation fee.

I will not make a reservation at a no refund park until I am 99.9% sure I will make it to that destination, however I nearly go burned this year when all of the parks at my scheduled stop were all booked.

2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the campground clearly states their policy, I have no issue with them. Would be very interesting to drive up their on Labor Day weekend to see if your site is vacant. Tell them you are still coming.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

Lantley wrote:

We all make our plans and commit to reservations based on our personnel iteneraries however when outside forces such as covid closures or a wild fire, which was not anticipated/expected by anyone at the time the reservations were made impact our plans consideration shoud be made.
    If the bridge leading to the CG collapses should I be charged a cancellation fee?
    What if the collapsed bridge causes me to take a 500 mile detour? Must I drive aound to avoid cancellation? If the government shuts down my event due to covid should I have to eat my resrvation.
    At some point the CG needs to be reasonable in their expectations of the customer.
    If the Campground is in Wyoming and the bridge that collapsed causing your detour is in Ohio then yes, you should eat your reservation. Having owned parks for many years, we have heard every excuse imaginable as to why we should waive cancellation fees. When someone's parents have died for the third time you get suspicious. When they tell you they are hospitalized and cannot travel the 1000 miles to the park and then when you call them to ask where you need forward a package that arrived they tell you they will stop by to pick it up in a couple of hours you realize people LIE. We therefore took the position that we are not the judge and jury of excuses. No Exceptions.

Exactly.

If I make a reservation at a campground so I can attend a wedding nearby and that wedding gets cancelled should the campground make an exception to their policy because my event got cancelled?

If I make a one night reservation in Bakersfield for a trip to Arizona, should they make an exception because Arizona's weather was too hot that week?

If I make a reservation at a campground in BC so I can go on an Alaskan cruise, should they make an exception because the cruise was cancelled?

If each reservation was made knowing they had a no cancellation policy, then I made a contract to that effect. Just because MY plans change doesn't make the contract null and void.

Now, if the campground called and said "sorry, we have a sewer problem and will be closed", then I would expect a refund.

If the OP had a reservation at Lake Almanor with a no refund policy, then I would expect them to refund the money because THEY can't meet the terms of the contract. But that's not the case here. The OP is choosing to not meet the terms of the contract and therefore is not due a refund.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
    1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
    Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/21 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Non-refundable = Non-refundable

That being said, years ago when I was in the automobile business, we never took "deposits" on anything -- we took "partial payments" to hold a vehicle. Of course, they were non-refundable, and it made it easier for buyers to understand we weren't just 'holding' a vehicle for them, but they were in fact buying it, and the partial payment made it theirs until all their ducks were in a row to finalize the purchase. Worked great for many decades, and legally but us in a much better position than taking a 'non-refundable deposit'

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12th Man Fan wrote:

I understand why parks have to have these policies but I also believe if they are able to rent that space on the day or days in question they should provide a refund minus a reasonable cancellation fee.

I will not make a reservation at a no refund park until I am 99.9% sure I will make it to that destination, however I nearly go burned this year when all of the parks at my scheduled stop were all booked.

It really comes down to the parks' choice. If they find the polict doesn't affect their bottom line, then they're not going to change. All we can do is choose not to do business with them. We can't demand they change or ignore their rules because we disagree with them.

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/21 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is funny how these contracts are seen as a one way street. Folks are indignant when a park has a clearly stated no-cancelation policy, and expect that the park should accommodate their change in plans. Yet the same folks would be apoplectic if the same park cancelled their reservation (say because someone else were willing to pay more for the same spot).

You knew the policy, the reason you are cancelling doesn't matter at all, it is not on the park to eat the cost of your change.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
    Page of 6  
    Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Just experienced our first Non-refundable campground
    Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
    Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.