|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Just beginning to do homework

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/21 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are looking at about 100 days, give or take. Doable.

Each of our four trips from MD Eastern Shore was between 120 & 135 days. Time actually in Alaska was between 42 & 50 days. Canada was not treated as a no mans land that had to be rushed through. Canada is huge. Alaska is relatively small. Some of the very best mountain scenery in all of N America is in Canada. Some of the best animal viewing is in Canada.

Treat it less as a trip to Alaska & more as a trip to The North.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/21 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll add a horrible thought to consider. Breakdowns.

I am 3 weeks into being truckless at this very moment due to serious truck issues & a lack of parts availability. I am about 5000 miles into a 9000 mile around the country trip.

There is no guarantee but before you do your very first mile get your vehicles fully serviced. If a part looks dodgy, have it replaced. I do & did for this trip but Murphy is always there riding with you. Once north of Edmonton help is further & further apart & available.

Carry routine spares. Fuel filters, oil filters, brake rotor pads. That type of thing that a northern garage probably won't have on hand & there is no such thing as next day delivery.

Carry tools that you need for things that you can do yourself. We broke a wetbolt on the trailer one time. Yes, we had spares & yes we have the tools needed to jack up the trailer & we changed it ourselves in a Dawson City, YT campground.

It set us back about a day but time overall for a few things to go wrong was built into the trip.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/21 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"There is no guarantee but before you do your very first mile get your vehicles fully serviced. If a part looks dodgy, have it replaced. I do & did for this trip but Murphy is always there riding with you. Once north of Edmonton help is further & further apart & available.

Carry routine spares. Fuel filters, oil filters, brake rotor pads. That type of thing that a northern garage probably won't have on hand & there is no such thing as next day delivery.

Carry tools that you need for things that you can do yourself."

Traveling to AK, as has been noted before, is not to the end of the world, but (having driven to/from AK since 1976), I can't imagine better advice than that above. In particular, take what is needed to swap rims/tires and take a good plug / patch kit as well; a small compressor or even a small compressed air tank could be worth it's weight in gold. In that 40 years of driving the Alcan, I only had one busted headlight, but a spare light or bulb for one's headlights would be a good thing as well.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Just beginning to do homework
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.