RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Denver area in Winter??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Denver area in Winter??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jts140

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My sons moving to Broomfield, CO. next month and we are thinking of taking camper from FL to CO in late December. Never camped in cold weather before. Our RV is a Montana 2014 3625RE, do have dual pane windows, How good are these in the cold weather? Seems that area gets 40 to 20 Degree weather that time of the year. Wanna take camper so I can take my dogs. Found a park open all year. Prospect RV park in Wheat Ridge CO.
Any advice what I might need besides an extra space heater would be appreciated.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/21 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It takes more than dual pane windows. It takes a well insulated unit, a heated basement, and planning. If you travel during freezing conditions, you will most likely need to winterize and only dewinterized when you park with hook ups. Fill fresh water tank and put up the hose. Go to travel, winterize again.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/21 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was stationed at Lowry AFB in 1972-73. One morning in Jan 1973 I work up and looked out at the large parking lot next to my housing unit. The parking lot was larger than a football field and looked totally empty of cars. After a few seconds I realized that overnight we had gotten a snow which totally covered every car in the lot. Could not see any indication a car was even in the lot.
Cold? You get use to the cold. But water still freezes at 32 deg and when the wind blows it can feel more than just a bit chilly by CO standards. If it was FL it would be miserable cold.

Camped in every state

IDman

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We lived in Monument, CO for 22 years. Save yourself a lot of grief, discomfort and problems. Board the dogs and stay in hotels. Then you just have to worry about icy roads and getting snowed in/out somewhere.

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Broomfield, the end of December is the coldest mornings of the year it will get to about 0 degrees or a little colder. Dealing with water pipes will not be fun.

Martyn

Panama City Beach, FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lived in Denver area for 30 years. Much of the advice above is good. I would not do it. As suggested, board dogs and get hotel.

2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll bet the "campground" shuts off the water at the beginning of October. My eldest daughter lived up there for three years. As Wadcutter says, you might not get up to sunshine and fresh flowers every day.

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/21 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend of ours, while having a house built, stayed in our fiver during the winter in North Georgia (I repeat NORTH GEORGIA) and used a 30# cylinder of gas every eight days.

Denver???

A

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I lived at Broomfield, Westminster and Arvada from 70 thru 03. It doesn't get as cold as it used to but I remember week long spells that got to -20... several times. Friends who sold their house and went to full timing spent their first winter at Prospect Park in an 03 Sunny Brook with the cold package. I went to see them one night in a 10 degree snow storm and their 5er was as tight and comfy as my house.
I'm at Pueblo now which is in the Banana Belt and we've seen -5, even here. Good luck!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Denver area in Winter??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.