|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jeep Gladiator Overland Tow vehicle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Max's Mom

DFW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, I am new to the forum, but not RVing. New to towing, always had a motorhome. I have a Jeep Gladiator Overland. 8-sp Auto trans, with tow package, class IV hitch. Manual states 6,000# tow ability, 600# hitch weight, 1083# max payload, 11,100 GCWR. Specs state a frontal area of 40ft. I have a Redarc Tow-pro Elite Brake Controller installed. I want to tow a FR Surveyor Legend 202RBLE, dual axles, UVW 4931# (brochure), hitch weight: 497#, CCC: 2566# (I doubt I would ever load this much) ext. height 11'2", ext. width: 96", ext. length 24'4".

I plan on using an Andersen WDH with Sway control. I don't load my truck down, normally solo travel or only with one other person. Please comment on this rig so I can better figure out if this is the correct tow vehicle for this trailer or visa/versa. I haven't ordered the trailer but do own the 2021 JT. Thanks for your comments!

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to stick with all the specced tow ratings, you would already be way over on frontal area. 40 square feet limits you to just a five foot high frontal dimension if the trailer is eight feet wide. I think you might bump up against your GCWR, hitch weight and payload limits as well. The Gladiator appears big and beefy, but the nuts and bolts beneath that beefy exterior, not so much.

Max's Mom

DFW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. Something to think about.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 11:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may want to check Motor Trend's 2021 Truck of the Year comments regarding the Gladiator and towing. They tested Ecodiesel and Mojave trim versions towing a 5,200# Airstream with no WDH. Their comments were the Gladiator was scary and borderline dangerous.

If I was going to proceed, I wouldn't use the Andersen but would jump to a heavier hitch with more stout anti-sway capabilities. The actual weight of that trailer with options, propane tanks and battery will far exceed 5,000#.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

unless you have the diesel, the performance is pretty underwhelming for towing 1/2 ton truck sized campers with the milquetoast V6.

The one I did look at looked great for off roading. Looked like a Jeep when it comes to towing. (Soft suspension).
Too much trailer for a newb to handle behind that buggy, IMO.
Great vehicle. But a bit smaller camper is what I’d be after.

* This post was edited 08/14/21 05:17am by Grit dog *

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will say the axles are stout enough though and suspension can be stiffened up easy.
I wouldn’t count it out. Just know you may need to do a couple things to the Yeep.
Trans will make the most of the little engine and is a good unit for towing.

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you care about the specs, you will be limited to low walled RVs. If the frontal area is the only spec you are willing to exceed, then you'll want to stay close to 4k dry, maybe 3500. Add 750 pounds to loaded weight and 200 to TW for nearly any TT in that weight range.

I the specs do not matter, you have plenty of power. There are aftermarket upgrades to improve most aspects of towing high walled RVs near/over various ratings.

* This post was edited 08/17/21 09:55pm by APT *

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure you wouldn't like a Casita? I think the Gladiator with Andersen would do fine with one of those low-profile 'egg' trailers.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd look at R-Pod style TT's and keep stickered UVW's around 3500 lbs. You want a narrower style TT for less wind drag. The rounded front section on R-Pod style TT's will help as well.
I would even look at this https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/flagstaff-e-pro/E19FD/3557

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You’ll be at 6k lbs loaded for a trip. That’s a lot of weight to ask of the 3.6. Even with its good power it’s taxed just hauling around the empty Gladiator. This is where Jeep dropped the ball by skipping the 5.7 Hemi as an option. And only offering the 6.4 on the 4dr Wrangler! A 5.7 is all that would be needed for the Gladiator.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jeep Gladiator Overland Tow vehicle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.