RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Safety issue in handicapped bathrooms

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Safety issue in handicapped bathrooms

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/21 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a knurled bar for our home shower in Home Depot. It was about $9-10 more than the smooth bar beside it.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

Maybe 2 or 3 wraps of the shelf liner,then zip tie the ends. That way the middle shouldn't slip and the zips would be out of the way of your hands.

A) if 1 layer of the non-slip won't work, 3 would be worse.

B) How would you ever clean this?

OP, is this where you live, or you asking about semi-public location? I bought a pack of jersey gloves that had plastic palm, thumb, and front of fingers. When I got them I thought would keep hand dry when handling wet chains. Did not work for that but wife still uses to open jars. (make sure big enough to put on wet hands)

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

Maybe 2 or 3 wraps of the shelf liner,then zip tie the ends. That way the middle shouldn't slip and the zips would be out of the way of your hands.

I like your suggestion, Jetboater454. Good thinking. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an ole 'run what you brung' country boy, I might try using a relatively coarse sandpaper and sand (one direction only) around the grip section of the bar. This should scar the finish enough to allow a good grip and would only be as expensive as the number of pieces of paper used.
I likely would use the 2 inch bands and turn the rough side inward toward the bar and then just pull the strip until the textured surface I wanted is achieved.

horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

GMH

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

As an ole 'run what you brung' country boy, I might try using a relatively coarse sandpaper and sand (one direction only) around the grip section of the bar. This should scar the finish enough to allow a good grip and would only be as expensive as the number of pieces of paper used.
I likely would use the 2 inch bands and turn the rough side inward toward the bar and then just pull the strip until the textured surface I wanted is achieved.

I doubt that those grab bars are made from stainless steel or aluminum. They are most likely just chrome plated steel and scarring that finish would soon lead to rust.

* This post was edited 08/15/21 08:52am by GMH *

GMH

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they made the bars triangular it would be a lot easier to hang onto. I have seen gardening gloves that have little rubber “grippers” on them. Maybe wear a pair in the tub or shower. When done toss them in the laundry? Sounds silly…but better that a slip and fall!

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

OP, is this where you live, or you asking about semi-public location? I bought a pack of jersey gloves that had plastic palm, thumb, and front of fingers. When I got them I thought would keep hand dry when handling wet chains. Did not work for that but wife still uses to open jars. (make sure big enough to put on wet hands)

Wet chains never bothered me. It was the cold and wet that did me in. LOL. The only solution I found was to retire.

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could you add those adhesive non-slip tub stickers? I don't know how well the adhesive would hold up, but they survive on the tub surface even when the tub is consistently filled with water. There may be some strips available that would provide more coverage.

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/21 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d3500ram wrote:

I design restroom layouts and specify components as part of my job. There are not many option variables as we need to strictly stay within the parameters of ANSI 117.1 guidelines (ADA is a whole other matter.)

Some of the few alternates are knurled and peened surfaces ILO of typical satin nickel finishes. [image]
Though possible, there is not much variation as a whole as the overall dimensions must be adhered. One of the largest suppliers of grab bars with whom I deal does not offer the knurled option in their catalog.

Ed, do you think the peened surface would make a difference?

I have installed the peened surface grab bars from Lowes and HD in our bath at our S&B and on the outside stairs at our summer place in Waynesville, NC. They have proved to be very resistant to slipping and provide all the support we need, even when wet.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Safety issue in handicapped bathrooms
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.