RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Truck Camper carport

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Truck Camper carport

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
gvgeode

Grass Valley, California

Full Member

Joined: 06/26/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/14/21 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After losing our CalMark Sunbrella cover during a very hurried evacuation from the recent River fire I've decided to put in a concrete pad and a metal carport for our truck camper and not have to deal with getting the cover on and off, sometimes in a hurry. I wasn't able to find any forum topics on the subject of metal carports for RVs. I've found lots of companies online that sell these carports so I thought I'd reach out here and see what thoughts you might have. Any recommendations or suggestions?


2010 F-450, 6.4PSD, CC, DRW, 4X4, 60 gal fuel tank
2009 Lance 1055


Terryallan

Foothills NC

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/14/21 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gvgeode wrote:

After losing our CalMark Sunbrella cover during a very hurried evacuation from the recent River fire I've decided to put in a concrete pad and a metal carport for our truck camper and not have to deal with getting the cover on and off, sometimes in a hurry. I wasn't able to find any forum topics on the subject of metal carports for RVs. I've found lots of companies online that sell these carports so I thought I'd reach out here and see what thoughts you might have. Any recommendations or suggestions?


Before you pull the trigger. I would get a contractor to make you a price on a "Pole" shed. I got one of those instead of the metal carport. Why/ because it was not only built better, but was also less expensive. a 13' high 16' wide, and 40'longe metal carport is going to be expensive. May as well get a better one for the same or less.


Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers


JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/14/21 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

gvgeode wrote:

After losing our CalMark Sunbrella cover during a very hurried evacuation from the recent River fire I've decided to put in a concrete pad and a metal carport for our truck camper and not have to deal with getting the cover on and off, sometimes in a hurry. I wasn't able to find any forum topics on the subject of metal carports for RVs. I've found lots of companies online that sell these carports so I thought I'd reach out here and see what thoughts you might have. Any recommendations or suggestions?


Before you pull the trigger. I would get a contractor to make you a price on a "Pole" shed. I got one of those instead of the metal carport. Why/ because it was not only built better, but was also less expensive. a 13' high 16' wide, and 40'longe metal carport is going to be expensive. May as well get a better one for the same or less.


13X16X40? Big truck camper.
OP, I don't know about your area, but many places the bigger the building the more regulations you run into. A smooth floor, and fine brush finish on the driveway in front would let you offload the camper on car dollies, lower it down, and roll it into a smaller pole building.

ranholago

CA

New Member

Joined: 07/27/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/14/21 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someting to think about;
In the next county over, when putting up one of those "carports" You know the ones you see all over the place, $895.00 on your prepared lot. Just the county fees are more than the price of the carport. I went with a building from "metallic" out of Sacramento... the county fees were not cheap for that either. Its been a few years now but the guy I talk to was "John AZ" pretty good guy, had lots of options.
I have been thinking of doing one for my Lance and have been throwing the idea of just putting it up, and will take it down again when I move.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2020

View Profile






Posted: 08/14/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a VersaTube and love it.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/15/21 01:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in Las Vegas, yet California company was advertising on local CL and they build me 90 mph rated carport for less than competition from Utah would do.
If you don't find them, I can dig my old receipt.





Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Online
Posted: 08/15/21 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you said, there are lots of companies that put up car ports. So a specific mfg or contractor in your area would be a local recommendation only, likely.
Sure a pole barn would be a great idea. So would a shop, but presumably those aren’t options for you or you haven’t explored them, as that was not your question.
Issues? Properly assembled and anchored down, there are really no issues to have that I’m aware of. They last virtually forever and keep sun and the wet stuff off of what’s parked under them. That’s about it iMO.
One suggestion is don’t go cheap on the sides. Windward and or sunny sides of car ports, spring for the 3/4 or full siding.


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

gvgeode

Grass Valley, California

Full Member

Joined: 06/26/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/15/21 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to you all for your responses. With the fire season lasting so long now and wanting to be ready to leave at a moment's notice I keep the camper on the truck from March when we start our spring camping into early November when we're done camping for the year. So while I like the idea of a lower cover that the camper would roll into on dollies it won't work for me. I'll check out the dealers mentioned and am planning on extending the windward/sunny side 3/4 down. Thanks again, I've learned so much over the years from this forum and have been able to share a bit also.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 08/16/21 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

13X16X40? Big truck camper.
OP, I don't know about your area, but many places the bigger the building the more regulations you run into. A smooth floor, and fine brush finish on the driveway in front would let you offload the camper on car dollies, lower it down, and roll it into a smaller pole building.


What part of "in a hurry" did you miss? Sounds like he had to bug out quickly due to a wildfire. In that situation you don't have time to roll the camper out of the garage, jack it up and load it. You have to get in and GO.


Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

Senior Member

Joined: 12/03/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/16/21 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had two structures built by American Carports. They have several outlets in calif. Our closest is in Colusa, Northern Calif. I live in he Sacramento area.
I would use them....
The installers put together my 30x30x 13. shop, insulated 16x 12 rollup and a 8x7... Took them 2 days!
Both the camper barn and shop was built to the 90mph wind.

If you are going to have sides I would have the panels installed vertical instead of horizontal!
Horizontal collects dirt etc and is not easy to clean. It might cost a bit more but that is what I recommend.

https://americancarportsinc.com

Jim


2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Truck Camper carport
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.