|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Arctic Fox Roof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I plan to install solar panels soon. Its a solid roof. Is there any reason I cannot just anchor stuff wherever I need to? A couple of screws and lots of dicor?

2019 Ford F450 KR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is what I did on my 5th wheel. No problems and they have been installed for 8 years now.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put down a strip of Eternabond where my mounts would go, then used the Dicor on the mounts. I did this three years ago on this 5er, and just looked them over last week and found no issues.

I did the exact same thing on my previous 5er, also an Arctic Fox, with zero issues on that one also.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/21 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not that I can think of. My three are on the TT’s leading edge…no issues.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to hear you folks have had success. I was up on the roof the other day thinking I can get about 800 watts or possibly more up on that big roof.

Thanks!

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it’s the 1140 in your signature, you will need to use molly bolts, well nuts, or other expanding anchors.

The roof is solid... foam, sandwiched between two thin layers of lauan. Foam doesn't tend to hold screws very well, and the luan is too thin. The expanding anchors and lots of sealant works well.

It's also lacking in the truss department, and completely different construction than their trailer roofs.

If you go up and over the AC unit, you can fit a lot more up there. We have been running with 1800W for nearly 15K miles now, and nothing has budged, loosened, or leaked. As an added benefit, the rack pushes branches and other high debris up and over, rather than wreaking havoc on your roof protrusions. It adds less than an inch to total height, with the AC unit nestled up between the rails, and you can use residential or commercial panels that are both cheaper per watt and if you buy the right panel, have better tolerance to shading.

[image]

You should have the cathedral roof on the 2018, but from everything I've seen and read the only thing that changed regarding construction is the shape of the foam block they vacuum the lauan to. This is a cutaway of the roof according to Arctic Fox during an interview with Truck Camper Magazine regarding the change in 2017.

[image]

* This post was last edited 08/15/21 04:03pm by n0arp *   View edit history

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Contact Arctic Fox for their recommendations.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n0arp, I mistakenly assumed they would use similar construction. I would not use my mounting methods on a roof you described.

Except for putting down the Eternabond wherever you are going to breach the roof.

RICKIM

The Ocean State

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/21 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had two AF 1140DBs with 400 watts of panels on each. Use double sided sticky tape to set your brackets at their locations with two pan head 1x10 SS screws in each bracket. Installation is fine anywhere on the roof, just keep in mind a walking/access path during install.
Put self leveling Dicor around all brackets and screws and you’ll be fine. All my panels and components were purchased thru AM Solar (this is how they install them)…..I’ve never had a problem or a leak anywhere due to my installs.
Good luck! Rick

2018 AF1140 DB, 2.2KW Honda, 400 watts solar, Trimetric, Lifeline GPL-31XT's,
1KW inverter, rear deck, Turbo/Maxx fans
2019 5500 Ram Crew, DRW, 6.7L-CTD, EB, 19.5s, Custom TC bed, on board air, Bilsteins, Fast-guns, “The Velvet Locomotive”

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well even more interesting ideas. I will call Northwood just to get their opinion. I have considered using 3M VHB tape with those plastic no drill mounts and eternabond on top of the edges to hold it down.

I like the idea of a elevated rack for a bunch of solar panels. I am focused on getting the rest of the system up and using my dual extra heavy duty alternators to start with. Solar will be the last thing I do.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Arctic Fox Roof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.