|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with 2004 Lincoln Aviator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still haven't made it clear: Sluggish with the trailer or withOUT the trailer?

If it's sluggish without the trailer it will only be worse with the trailer.

On paper your combination is perfectly reasonable. The only safety issue you would run into is if you didn't keep your vehicle maintained. Good tires, good brakes are just the beginning.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something else....the 4 valve 4.6 is not a low rpm engine. So it will seem like it is working harder to pull, as most of the power is higher in the rpm range.

It should do the job but it will take a little RPM on the hills to maintain speed.

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Fordlover

Spring, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rg3 wrote:

I have recently purchased a new old Gulf Aero Light 19 ft bumper pull camper. The camper weigh 4005 LBs dry and about 4500 loaded with gear but not fresh water. I have a 2004 Lincoln Aviator with a 4.6 L 281 V8 dohc with 110,000 miles. The tow rating on the TV is 7000 lbs. Can I successfully pull the camper, it seems a bit sluggish? Could sure some advice.

I had an Explorer with the less powerful SOHC V8, with the 3.73 tow package and a similar trailer, and was very pleased with the combo overall. The 5 speed automatic and 3.73 gearing worked well, but I never mistook it for a 1,000 ft. lb. diesel.

2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fordlover wrote:

I had an Explorer with the less powerful SOHC V8, with the 3.73 tow package and a similar trailer, and was very pleased with the combo overall. The 5 speed automatic and 3.73 gearing worked well, but I never mistook it for a 1,000 ft. lb. diesel.

If I recall, the Aviator has the 300hp 4.6 and 5 speed. Basically the Mustang GT drivetrain.
Agree, not to be mistaken for a big diesel or even a big new 400hp gasser, but it is a very reliable combo in my past experience with several 4.6 and 5.4 trucks and would have the same or more power than a typical F150 of the same era.

One recommendation, at 100k miles, if you are on original spark plugs, buy new plugs, then go to church and pray hard that the old ones don't snap off when removing them and do a tune up. Idk how long you've had the vehicle, but enough people have know for a long time that the 4.6s are prone to snapping off plugs and they may have been left alone and original 17 year old spark plugs.
When removing, be careful, use copious amounts of penetrating oil and go slow. When they break loose, do not jsut start cranking them out. Go tight loose tight loose back n forth, kinda like tapping a thread. You'll understand why after you get the first one out.
(And then you'll want to go slap Henry Ford's great grandson for the "ingenious" design!)
Use copper antiseize on the sleeve and threads when installing new plugs.
I've only done one set of these plugs and low low mile super clean garaged car and the plugs were sticky and corroded already.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with 2004 Lincoln Aviator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.