|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> StrangeThings

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 12:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2020, I think, Wife got a photo speeding ticket from New Jersey.
We hadn't been through NJ since 2017, maybe, doing Mayflower Ancestor research.
The plate in the photo was black on white Disabled Vet plate from Tn.
Called Dispatch and asked them to run it.
First my wife is not a Disabled Vet. I am, 100%.
The plate belonged to an Individual in Clarksville, Tn, that belonged on a gold Cadillac. The car it was on was a Nissan.
Started to just ignore it but wife called the number in New Jersey and they wanted a photo of our car with my plate on it.
My plate has an American flag etc, the newer Disabled Vet plate.
The individual attached to the plate in their photo was a man. We do not know him and never met him.
My wife does not have Disabled Veteran Plate, in her name and is not a Disabled Veteran.
The plates are all in my name and not one of them resembles the plate in the NJ photo.
How in the world did they attach a photo of some stranger's Disabled Veteran plate, as being registered in her name, as a Disabled Veteran, in New Jersey when we were in Az no less?.
Our LEO and us couldn't come up with any idea!
I think about this from time to time,as I'm analytical and can't let something go unsolved.
Any ideas?

* This post was last edited 08/17/21 07:05am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 04:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well there are some things I do no wish to see in a public post
First the plate on the speeder's car
Second the plates on YOUR cars
Third, the photo.

But in a private message .....

All day long a board clerk/typist (may be called something else) sits at a computer terminal (Been there sort of) and types in the plates he/she sees in the photos and then the computer spits out a ticket. But it is a HUMAN that reads and types in the plate.

My guess... Typo

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've heard of folks getting a bill from a state using photo id to charge people for using their turnpike system....that had never been to that state. Reason was people like to use some type of tag cover which can cover the states name. The one I remember was a white F150 with certain tag numbers....which those numbers were used in three states. Lots of white F150 on the road.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reminds me of back in the mid or late 70's when I received a notice from the NYC traffic division that I owed them $63, $13 for an illegal parking fine and a $50 surcharge for non-payment and fees. The license plate number listed was the special commercial plate on my backhoe/loader that had never been more than a mile or so from our upstate NY home since it was delivered. A phone call to the NYC traffic folks did get it straightened out fairly quickly though, and the excuse they offered was the previously mentioned mistyped entry. It did have me scratching my head though, until I had the official written explanation and correction in hand.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Orion

Pacific South West

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember a few years ago when a guy was trying to get a personilised plate for his vehicle. He wrote his requested plate in, but in the '2nd choice' area he wrote 'NO PLATE', as if he couldn't get want he wanted, he didn't want any plate.
Sure enough, in a few weeks a packaged arrived with the 'No Plate ' plate , but in the meantime he had received dozens of parking tickets, as vehicles illegally parked with no plates, were written up as such, but somehow they now all found their way on to his file!
can't quite remember how it ended up, but I think that he wanted to keep the plate and wanted the DMV to change their billing system!

Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I learn that an intersection has one of those “red light” cameras, i plan future trips in that location taking different routes, even if it’s a longer distance just so I can avoid that intersection. Fortunately, many cities are getting rid of theses “traps”, which were just devious ways to fine you unjustly. I’m dismayed to learn my location, Amarillo, still uses these cameras, whereas several other TX cities have stopped doing so.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

If I learn that an intersection has one of those “red light” cameras, i plan future trips in that location taking different routes, even if it’s a longer distance just so I can avoid that intersection. Fortunately, many cities are getting rid of theses “traps”, which were just devious ways to fine you unjustly. I’m dismayed to learn my location, Amarillo, still uses these cameras, whereas several other TX cities have stopped doing so.

Curious why folks think they are "traps". If you aren't doing what you aren't supposed to be doing it's a moot point. If someone robs your store at night and a camera is enough to catch and prosecute them, that's a good thing. If you break a traffic law and a camera catches you, somehow it's a trap and an infringement on your rights?

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

Curious why folks think they are "traps". If you aren't doing what you aren't supposed to be doing it's a moot point. If someone robs your store at night and a camera is enough to catch and prosecute them, that's a good thing. If you break a traffic law and a camera catches you, somehow it's a trap and an infringement on your rights?
Many people think they're traps because they are. Don't forget that the people who make the most money from those cameras are the companies that build and install them. There have been reports that the duration of the yellow light was shortened after installation of red light cameras. And they do nothing to prevent accidents, they just slap the hand of the offender after the fact. Pure revenue generation.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are stop sign cameras on school busses also traps?
They also result in fines for not stopping.

* This post was last edited 08/19/21 10:09am by BCSnob *   View edit history

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

way2roll wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

Many people think they're traps because they are. Don't forget that the people who make the most money from those cameras are the companies that build and install them. There have been reports that the duration of the yellow light was shortened after installation of red light cameras. And they do nothing to prevent accidents, they just slap the hand of the offender after the fact. Pure revenue generation.

Red light cameras change driver's willingness to run red lights. And real cops hand out plenty of tickets at intersections w short duration yellows as well. Some have been known to trigger light changes w sensors built in the street to intentionally trap victims. But RLC don't involve risk on the part of the cops nor the driver, nor does it count against insurance and the insurance companies make the most when cops hand out tickets for moving violations.

Unjust enforcement of laws is a huge problem, but RLC and the like are little reminders to obey traffic laws w/out the risk and expense of cops handing out tickets.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> StrangeThings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.