RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: HOW do I do this?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> HOW do I do this?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have purchased a car and an RV in states other than our domicile state (we're full-timers domiciled with Escapees in Texas). In both cases, we or the dealer did all the paperwork, included a check for the taxes and registration fees, and registered the vehicles by mail. The registration, plates and titles went to our Escapees mail service and we had them forwarded.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcason wrote:

Because we won't be back in NY until mid december soonest. Need to register it somewhere and not sure if I can do it virtually in ny and with appointments necessary at motor vehicle...that could be difficult or impossible?

Maybe this won't work?

Sorry, usually SD comes up because people are changing domicile to get clear of a high tax state (like NY).

If your domicile will still be in NY, no reason to get SD involved. Just do the transfer in Michigan, register in NY (as indicated most states have options if you aren't in the state).

Depending on where you buy in Michigan, it's just a long day trip in the car to get back to NY, so if you feel better drive over to the western edge of NY and do it in person.

Obviously, last year was odd but we spend 6 months and 5,000miles with no plate on the trailer because Michigan couldn't get around to processing our paperwork (we bought in Nebraska and switched there). Only ones to ask were 2 RV parks as we couldn't give them a license plate number but as soon as we explained, they shrugged and checked us in.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't register it in NY. I'd find a way to register it in Arizona and save a **** load of money ever year.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP had posted previously about going fulltime and changing Domicile to SD anyway, IF that is still the long term plan, I would make the jump now, while they are already halfway there, and they can change out the Drivers lic and everything else at the same time.
If they are NOT planning on the shift in the near future, go back to NY and pay up.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

I wouldn't register it in NY. I'd find a way to register it in Arizona and save a **** load of money ever year.

Save all that money on what? NY has no personal property or wheel tax, and the maximum annual passenger vehicle registration fee (includes motorhomes) payable every two years, is $70. There is an annual safety inspection requirement, but that's just $20 or $21 depending the weight.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes it is best to get the help of a dealer
Start in your case by talking to the NY Vehicles folks (DMV?) They may be able to get you a "Temp" registration fairly quikcly posibbly even a downloadable document, once you buy the RV.. So might Michigan Department of State (Secretary of States's office),, alas interstate purchase is a bit above my pay grade.

Michigan does give you 3 days to get it to either A: home or B: License plate place. You must have insurance however.

A dealer can get you temp registration as well.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/21 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

Save all that money on what? NY has no personal property or wheel tax, and the maximum annual passenger vehicle registration fee (includes motorhomes) payable every two years, is $70. There is an annual safety inspection requirement, but that's just $20 or $21 depending the weight.

NY has some wicked property taxes,but very low registration fees. Your tax is going to be the rate in the county you register in, usually around 8%. You pay this once,when you initially title the vehicle in NY,not to be taxed again until sold.

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/how-register-vehicle-when-you-are-out-state

* This post was edited 08/19/21 10:40am by an administrator/moderator *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The registration answer was posted back on the first page for those still contemplating this.
As far as selling the old one on the road, private party? No different than selling it at home unless I'm missing something. Bring title with. Clean it out, put it up for sale. If it's not a clunker and you actually will not be looking for top dollar, it will be out of your life quickly.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Yes, everybody needs to do all they can to trump out on their taxes.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

Yes, everybody needs to do all they can to trump out on their taxes.

You got it bud!
Until a good chunk of my taxes don’t go to support those (people and agencies) that are not self sufficient and just a drain on the system, I don’t feel the need to be an over achiever in how much I donate!

PS, to all, many states exempt state sales tax on private sales between “family” members. All I’m saying is you “might” be related to the guy you’re buying your used private party camper from and not even know it….[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> HOW do I do this?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.