|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Air Filters For Your Trucks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So what air filters do you run in your gas/Diesels besides K&N? Time to replace mine and looking toward Fleetgaurd but could o with the OE Mopar.

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pitched the K&N that was on mine when I bought it. IMO a diesel flows so much air the K&N needs to be thoroughly, and I do mean thoroughly, cleaned often. The one I pitched had crud deep down in the pleats. I replaced it with a Donaladson BHAF. This is on a 2001 Cummins.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BarryG20

Castle Rock, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been using Fleetguard's for over 20 years and over 1/2 million miles with no issue. Fuel, oil and air filters in my Cummins powered truck.
I personally would never run a K&N on a diesel truck. The stock filter is more than capable of providing enough air.

2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All filters I use are OEM from Filter 1 out of NJ. Good prices and fast shipping. Believe they carry filter products for all 3 brands. Want to say, a few years back I recall the Dodge/Ram folks getting their filters from Gino's (??????) Garage. If not here, there was someplace that was a more Dodge/Ram specific retailer of products for them. Many liked this place. Anyone remember it?

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use what the big guys use FleetFilter.com part # 46637

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing but the OEM filter. It's already optimzed for the engine. I put a K&N on a previous truck and the only reason it felt like it had more power was because I was subconsciously pushing the gas pedal harder. After the fascination wore off I realized that nothing had changed.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only OEM for diesels due to the potential damage to a turbo. K&N for gasoline engines.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I pitched the K&N that was on mine when I bought it. IMO a diesel flows so much air the K&N needs to be thoroughly, and I do mean thoroughly, cleaned often.

Few people do it thoroughly or often ! This can cause big problems.

Few people know that auto industry used to use similar type air filters on many cars over 60 years ago. They stopped because proper maintenance was not being done.

Frame air filters at Walmart are reasonably priced.

BarryG20

Castle Rock, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes Geno's Garage
https://www.genosgarage.com/ have probably spent thousands of dollars there over the last 20 years or so.

They also sponsor the TDR website Turbo Diesel Register great resource for the Dodge/Ram trucks

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well that is a predicament....

Do you trust the maker of your truck.... Mopar

-OR-

The maker of your engine.... Cummins Filtration(Fleetguard)

On another note, being that we are very large Cummins and Cummins Filtration(Fleetguard) dealers and purchased hundreds of millions from both each year. We just received notification that Cummins Filtration(Fleetgaurd) will soon be separating from Cummins after over 70 years of being apart of Cummins. Of course they will still be very involved with each other, but Cummins Filtration(Fleetguard) probably needs to do this to be a larger player in the aftermarket filter industry.

As far as what I use. I have had an AFE Momentum intake with a ProGuard 7 filter in my 2014 Cummins for well over 100k now. I have used similar oil bath filters on several past diesels that went for hundreds of thousands of miles without a turbo issue so I am not sure where some people are getting that they will ruin an engine. Not sure if their response comes from first hand experience or second hand here say.

* This post was edited 08/17/21 02:57pm by ShinerBock *

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Air Filters For Your Trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.