|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Air Filters For Your Trucks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

No one here even mentions Wix. Why?

Wix. Good filters too. This is not a connundrum but rather a 5 minute maintenance item. Go to the store, buy a filter, install it, it will be good.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can’t remember the last time I changed an air filter on a pick up. If the air restriction indicator were to ever get close to red I’d take a look at the filter and depending on what it’s plugged with I might consider lightly blowing the filter out with compressed air and throwing it back in again. I believe a dirty filter does a better job of filtering than a new one.

2022 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I can’t remember the last time I changed an air filter on a pick up. If the air restriction indicator were to ever get close to red I’d take a look at the filter and depending on what it’s plugged with I might consider lightly blowing the filter out with compressed air and throwing it back in again. I believe a dirty filter does a better job of filtering than a new one.

This is correct. A dirty filter actually does a better job at catching contaminants than a clean one. It just has less flow than a clean one.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A dirty filter does clean better than a clean one as long as there are no leaks that allow unfiltered air to bypass the high resistance filter.

As long as you are getting enough power there really isn't any harm in running filters longer. You might want to check every couple of years to be sure that rodents haven't gotten in there and gnawed some holes in the filter.

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

There are a lot of reasons and most of them have to do with people going with what makes them feel better. That is the reason why some buy OE or a certain brand over anything else even though they have no data to support that using anything else will decrease how many miles their engine will last versus the OE.

Does the WIX let more contaminants in? Maybe, maybe not. If it does allow more contaminants, is it within spec to were it will not decrease the life of components or the engine? If so, then what's wrong with using it? If one can show me that filter A will decrease the life on an engine over filter B(not just let more contaminants past) then I would be more inclined to change my mind.

As with most things, a topic like this has more to do with subjective feelings, here say, or "that is what my daddy used" rather than actual data, testing, or real world experience of running multiple type of filters in a controlled environment. If someone only uses one brand all their life, then how do they know if something else is not just as good if not better?

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

Simply NOT the same quality as MOPAR or FleetGuard. I posted the one I run and I think by now you know I am a pick MoFo just order it and be happy!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Of course you haven't replaced the air filter as you replace the truck FIRST. [emoticon]

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

This is correct. A dirty filter actually does a better job at catching contaminants than a clean one. It just has less flow than a clean one.

Agree ^.

Was taught this in Fleetguard training seminar.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

Of course you haven't replaced the air filter as you replace the truck FIRST. [emoticon]

I was waiting for that ! Lol

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

Simply NOT the same quality as MOPAR or FleetGuard. I posted the one I run and I think by now you know I am a pick MoFo just order it and be happy!!!

I will bet you money that all three are likely made at the same factory and/or use the exact same media just dyed a different color. In fact, Mopar doesn't even make their own filters and contract it out to other filter manufacturers like Wix, Fleetgaurd or Purolator depending on who has the lowest bid for that particular filter.

This happens all the time in the filter industry especially when it cost less money to buy and re-label a filter from another company than to create all new factory lines and machines on a low margin item.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Air Filters For Your Trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.