|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Evaluating Damage from Leak

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So they confirmed the wall paper issue was from a leak, so that is good info. It was not mentioned in the OP to look down low, which the OP could insist on while they are at it. The front cap is attached to the front of the floor with that corner bead like down each side, so you can take that off and separate the cap from the floor to see if it is wet in there.

It takes a while but the wet wood structure gets soft and screws won't hold anymore, and they rust away. Happens with truck campers where the jacks are held on the corners with big screws that no longer have any grip. Nasty when the jack comes away from the corner and the camper wants to fall on you! [emoticon] (Don't ask) You have to take the corner apart and put in new wood.

So IMO don't go for a short term fix if you will have wood rot some years from now.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just remember, the squeaky wheel will get it covered under warranty. This means YOU have to call the OEM and demand action. DO NOT THREATEN A LEGAL ACTION. Once you do that, most OEM's shut you down. Wait until your demanding ceases to get the problem fixed. You then have a Lawyer send a demand letter. THAT will get action. The OEM will deny to the Dealer, they always do. It is up to either the Dealer to step up or it is faster for YOU to call the OEM. Doug

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, your trailer is about a year old, its been in the shop for 3 months, and was going back in for more warranty work when you discovered a leak, meaning another 3-5 months in for repair? Wow - have you even had a chance to use it?

If you don't mind me asking, what brand of trailer? I know that no brand of trailer is built well anymore, and probably getting worst not better. Really makes someone shy away from buying new...

If I were in the market for new I would really consider asking a question of the dealer, how long does warranty repairs take? I wonder if any dealer would promise a quick turn around on any repair, like 2 weeks or something. If my truck was in the shop for 3 months, I would have to go buy another vehicle just to get to work... Why do people let these RV dealers get away with this?

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/21 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you have a new camper under warranty. It was in the shop for 3 months for repairs. You have additional repairs that are needed and now you also have major water damage.

You bought a piece of junk. That is not going to get better with age. I would get a lawyer now. You need to get rid of that thing and start over.

JonnyJumpUp

New England

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup they have had it almost as long as I have but I have been planning services around trips so I have only missed 1. The first repairs were pretty minor but it just took a long time to get parts. The consequence of a failing global supply chain, labor issues, covid, surge in purchases, etc. It was over the winter (aka wouldn't have used it anyway) so I decided not to push it and to let them store while waiting on the parts.

Extent of water damage is TBD. Any advice on taking back possession of the camper while we haggle? There are some outlets I could pop off to get a better idea of damage and would like to get things drying out if they aren't already.

The RV industry definitely seems to be stacked against the buyer [emoticon] think they stack their bets on most people not having the persistence to push these issues.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Listen I have FIRST HAND knowledge of both lemon and legal areas of your type problem. 42 years worth. DO NOT LEAVE THE RV. people think that if they just leave the RV it helps them in a legal case. It does NOT. The OEM and possibly the dealer will be making notes that while you have a problem and the leak is sealed, it does NOT keep you from using the unit. If you have no use or trips, then leave it, but just leaving it and then try to state the problem kept you from using it will not hold water. Doug

JonnyJumpUp

New England

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate the advice. I was coming around to taking back possession after I drove up due to lack of info over the phone and the state of the unit didn’t line up well with the info they were giving me. Almost like they were trying to keep me as uninformed as possible.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/21 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JonnyJumpUp wrote:

Yup they have had it almost as long as I have but I have been planning services around trips so I have only missed 1. The first repairs were pretty minor but it just took a long time to get parts. The consequence of a failing global supply chain, labor issues, covid, surge in purchases, etc. It was over the winter (aka wouldn't have used it anyway) so I decided not to push it and to let them store while waiting on the parts.

Extent of water damage is TBD. Any advice on taking back possession of the camper while we haggle? There are some outlets I could pop off to get a better idea of damage and would like to get things drying out if they aren't already.

The RV industry definitely seems to be stacked against the buyer [emoticon] think they stack their bets on most people not having the persistence to push these issues.

Getting needed parts is the responsibility of the manufacturer. That should not be your problem.

Don't blame the RV industry as a whole. You bought a POS. Leaking is a sure sign of that. I would not "haggle". You need to get an attorney to handle this problem.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Evaluating Damage from Leak
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.