|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tires...I know, tired subject

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, coming home from our recent boondocker, I decided to stop about 40 miles in to grab some food. My habit when I stop, is to walk around and look at, and feel, all my tires and hubs. I noticed that the RR trailer tire was significantly hotter than the other three. Made me stop and look at it more closely and I saw that the tread was rounded across the tire, instead of flat. So, tread's separating, but it's a "symmetric" failure, all around the tire. Rather than risk another nearly 100 miles, I changed the tire. DOT date of 2616 on all 5 tires, so > 5 years old. Now, my rig's placarded for D tires, which really are plenty of tire for a 10.5k GVW rig, given that an 8-ply D tire is 2540 lbs capacity, so over 10k lbs total. I'd probably hold my nose and buy Endurance (not a GY fan), but they don't make them in a D range in this size, at least that I can find. I did run a couple sets of the newer Carlisles on my old Komfort, but they were E rated. I liked them and had no issues with them. Almost always run at 70 psi instead of 80. Are there any decent D rated tires out there? Usual 225/75-R15 size. Should I just save some money and go with E rated Carlisles again, since I'd probably only run them at 65 or 70 psi? Should I bite the bullet and go to 16" wheels/tires? There are just so many more options with 16".

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 63 Year Member

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO your are too close on weight for LR Ds. Go with Es.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OMG...tires!!

Good to hear that report Lyle! I'm glad you noticed the issue before any damage. I know that Endurance do not come in that size. Another great option, from my personal experience is the Provider tire. It is the original new, design tire, been out the longest, proven, and comes in your size. They are speed rated 81 mph. Read about them at etrailer, or read reviews.

Jerry

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go with the Carlisle HD tire and update to an E rated if available. They are doing well for many of us. You don't need to go to 16" tires IMO.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

IMO your are too close on weight for LR Ds. Go with Es.

Huh?

2,540 x 4 = 10,160 lbs max tire capacity. I've got at about 1,500 on the pin, so 10,160 - 1,500 = 8,660 on the axles. 8,660 / 4 = 2,160 lbs on each tire...give or take. 2,540 / 2,160 = 1.18, or about 18% below the max load rating. Pretty good, if you ask me. If my pin load is more, then there's even less load on the tires.

Lyle

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

OMG...tires!!

Good to hear that report Lyle! I'm glad you noticed the issue before any damage. I know that Endurance do not come in that size. Another great option, from my personal experience is the Provider tire. It is the original new, design tire, been out the longest, proven, and comes in your size. They are speed rated 81 mph. Read about them at etrailer, or read reviews.

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry. I've seen Provider tires on a =lot= of trailers. Shoot, I think we have them on our 30' PJ gooseneck; G-rated, triple axle.

Later: Wow! Etrailer's =very= proud of those Providers. Higher than Endurance! :-)

Lyle

Martyn

Panama City Beach, FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RAS43 wrote:

Go with the Carlisle HD tire and update to an E rated if available. They are doing well for many of us. You don't need to go to 16" tires IMO.

Ditto - that's what I did.

2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Martyn wrote:

RAS43 wrote:

Ditto - that's what I did.

Just talked to a sales guy at Discount Tire, and asked about "freshness" of the Carlisle HDs. He said that the =newest= tires they've seen lately are dated 2019 and =Discount= only has about 1200, total, in the U.S. Seems that Carlisle has discontinued the HD and is coming out with a new model...sometime. So, I my be buying Endurance, if I want to do some more camping this year. :-(

I plan on contacting Carlisle and seeing what they say. I'll update if/when I hear back from them.

Later: I just spoke with a =very= nice lady at Carlisle CS (>25 years working at Carlisle), and she informed me that the HD =is= still in production, but they are about 18,000 units behind in production of HD model tires, alone. So, I'll probably order some and hope I can get some fresh tires. Discount will let me refuse to take them if I feel they're too old.

She also informed me that Carlisle =will= cover damages if one of their tires blows out, or tosses its tread, so long as a road hazard is not involved. I had not ever heard this.

Lyle

* This post was edited 08/17/21 11:49am by laknox *

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:
Later: Wow! Etrailer's =very= proud of those Providers. Higher than Endurance!

I agree, but I suggested read about. There are cheaper places to purchase that exact tire, even Walmart, at one time, not sure right now.

Jerry

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Huh?"

Yes...LR E for the OP IMO. I don't want to be close on tire weight capacity. My TT can use Cs.....but I use Ds.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tires...I know, tired subject
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.