|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tires...I know, tired subject

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the GY Endurance tires, and I'm very happy with them. Brought the camper home for our second trip week before last and checked the tire pressure - all were still at 80 psi after a month of sitting.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I'd probably hold my nose and buy Endurance (not a GY fan)"

Well hold your nose and have no further issues!!!

GY ENDURANCE 225/75R15 in "E" 2830# @ 80psi $145 each at Discount Tire, a bargain any day!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Martyn wrote:

RAS43 wrote:

Go with the Carlisle HD tire and update to an E rated if available. They are doing well for many of us. You don't need to go to 16" tires IMO.

Ditto - that's what I did.

Just talked to a sales guy at Discount Tire, and asked about "freshness" of the Carlisle HDs. He said that the =newest= tires they've seen lately are dated 2019 and =Discount= only has about 1200, total, in the U.S. Seems that Carlisle has discontinued the HD and is coming out with a new model...sometime. So, I my be buying Endurance, if I want to do some more camping this year. :-(

I plan on contacting Carlisle and seeing what they say. I'll update if/when I hear back from them.

Later: I just spoke with a =very= nice lady at Carlisle CS (>25 years working at Carlisle), and she informed me that the HD =is= still in production, but they are about 18,000 units behind in production of HD model tires, alone. So, I'll probably order some and hope I can get some fresh tires. Discount will let me refuse to take them if I feel they're too old.

She also informed me that Carlisle =will= cover damages if one of their tires blows out, or tosses its tread, so long as a road hazard is not involved. I had not ever heard this.

Lyle

I bought my latest set in Feb. from Tire Buyer online and they were 6 months old. Cost was $447 for 4 tires. Took them to a local tire dealer for installation.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Contact your Discount Tire guy and ask what tires he would run on his RV price not a factor.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/21 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Contact your Discount Tire guy and ask what tires he would run on his RV price not a factor.

That would be Saliun [emoticon]

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look at Maxxis. At this time they have the best reputation in the ST industry, with Endurance a close second. Best thing about both those tires is that they are rated for more than 65mph. Just in case you let it get away and go over that speed. not saying run that fast, but if you happen to. Those tires will handle it. Most other ST tires are only rated to 65 MPH. I like some cushion

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

msmith1.wa

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My trailer came with Provider tires from the manufacturer. I replaced them about a month ago at about six years old because of a bubble forming on the sidewall near the bead. I would have bought the same brand, but couldn't find four locally before our next trip. Ended up getting Endurance. Even these were not readily available in the size I needed. Most places I called only had a couple in stock with more on order, but would not commit to when they would receive them.

So far I like the Endurance better than the Provider. I can feel a difference in how the trailer tows.

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are planning to keep the trailer maybe a change over to 16" rims and run 225 width 16" 1 ton truck tires which are common.

New take offs from commercial trucks that arrived with smoothies but need ground grips for the job they are being rigged for.

Steel in the casings.

Tuff tires vs trailer balloons.

Throwing ideas out there.

For the ST tire police: my heavy 3 axle toyhauler tire sticker calls out 16" truck tires not ST tires. Running Bridgestone Duravis steel casing smoothies.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run 16" LT E on my rv and non rv trailers with 5.2k/6.0k axles that have 6 lug hubs.
On my heavier non rv trailers with 7k axles I use the 16" S637 Sailuns G tires.

The only ST tires on my trailers are the ST235/80-16 E Providers on my favorite 10k gvwr 20' car hauler. The first set ran for 32k-33k miles actual miles and nine years before selling them to a neighbor for his hay rake. Two years now on the same size/load range Providers. I cruise 75 mph (legal speed limit) with my 2500 Dodge/Cummins pulling the same trailer/tractor to job sites sometime 175 miles away.

I became aware of the new gen high speed rating ST E and G Providers in '10 when several haulers forums reported them as OEM on new commercial trailers. I'm sold.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Endurance or Radial Trail HD are fine. Get E rated. Run 75-80 psi cold and travel with confidence.
I am partial to GY.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tires...I know, tired subject
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.