|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tires...I know, tired subject

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Contact your Discount Tire guy and ask what tires he would run on his RV price not a factor.

The last set of tires I bought for my old Komfort were Carlisles. I bought them after the Discount manager said that he, and most of the people working there, were running them. Yeah, I know they're probably getting a discount, but if they weren't at least half-way decent, most wouldn't run them. If only Sailun would step up and make tires for the 15" crowd... :-)

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 63 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

I would look at Maxxis. At this time they have the best reputation in the ST industry, with Endurance a close second. Best thing about both those tires is that they are rated for more than 65mph. Just in case you let it get away and go over that speed. not saying run that fast, but if you happen to. Those tires will handle it. Most other ST tires are only rated to 65 MPH. I like some cushion

I've read about a lot of issues with Maxxis the past 2-3 years and that people are going away from them. Also, they are still only rated for 65 mph, though they do say on their web site that the M8008 will handle higher speeds safely. IMO, it's just laywerese for saying that they won't warrant a tire if you admit to regularly traveling > 65 mph, despite what they say on their web site. A tire that clearly states that it has an 81 mph speed rating, to me, is a better tire, not that I'd ever attempt to tow that fast. Again, IMO, Maxxis is resting on its laurels and hasn't done anything to update/upgrade the M8008, and it's being surpassed by other companies.

Lyle

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Contact your Discount Tire guy and ask what tires he would run on his RV price not a factor.

That would be Saliun [emoticon]

On his light RV???

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ENDURANCE tires simply have no non road hazard claims that can be found. Four years on the market, that's saying something.

aruba5er

Neenah Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i put on 16 wheels and disc brakes at the same time. Which was kinda good. The trucks keep getting higher and that leveled the camper out somewhat. Used a LR E tire. LT tire I dont remember and cant go look size. Had over #700 per wheel spare weight. Still blew tires. The ones I had were Uniroyal USA. No better I really think the twisting and rolling at the same time during parking screws up the cords more than anything else.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/21 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, guys. Turns out that I'm going back on the road much sooner than I'd anticipated, so simply couldn't wait to find the Carlisle HDs. Discount is =out=, nationwide, per their inventory system, and they are marked "discontinued", despite Carlisle CS telling me that they were making HDs as fast as they can, just 3-4 weeks behind. I ended up going with the Endurance Es to the tune of $1,040, out the door. At least I get 9 months, no interest, to pay for them on the DT card. One thing I found interesting, is that they =refused= to air them down to 70 psi, saying that "STs are designed to run at full max pressure at all times and we don't use inflation charts for STs." I =will= air them down to 70, as there's simply no need to run 80 psi, IMO.

So, this story ends...and the payments begin. :-)

Lyle

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Well, guys. Turns out that I'm going back on the road much sooner than I'd anticipated, so simply couldn't wait to find the Carlisle HDs. Discount is =out=, nationwide, per their inventory system, and they are marked "discontinued", despite Carlisle CS telling me that they were making HDs as fast as they can, just 3-4 weeks behind. I ended up going with the Endurance Es to the tune of $1,040, out the door. At least I get 9 months, no interest, to pay for them on the DT card. One thing I found interesting, is that they =refused= to air them down to 70 psi, saying that "STs are designed to run at full max pressure at all times and we don't use inflation charts for STs." I =will= air them down to 70, as there's simply no need to run 80 psi, IMO.

Lyle

What size did you get? You will be more than happy with your forced choice!!!

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/21 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

laknox wrote:

Lyle

225/75-R15. Was already paying more than I wanted to, so didn't want to spring for wheels, too.

Lyle

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/21 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI...I saw somewhere that Carlisle was making a steel cased tire in 15".
WalMart.com had the best price when I bought Carlisle HD.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

laknox wrote:

Lyle

225/75-R15. Was already paying more than I wanted to, so didn't want to spring for wheels, too.

Lyle

Unless you were to be changing to disk brakes you made the right choice.

I do have to ask why they cost so much when they advertise that tire online at $145 each, that's $580 for 4. The set of 16" "E"'s I priced out for friends was $790 out the door for 4.

I would contact them as they should honor their online price. That's what I paid plus tire disposal plus tax. They included the mount and balance.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tires...I know, tired subject
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.