|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Honda 2000i generator amps surging up and down

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/21 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If voltage is steady out of the generator... I will guess the converter is failing.

Does the voltage in the 12v panel rise and fall same as the battery voltage all in sync with the drop in amps?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

test the generator by plugging in a 1500 watt heater. If there is no surging--then it may be the converter playing up.

* This post was edited 08/19/21 04:27pm by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I praised that wrong I turned off the inverter powering the trailer when on solar but left the solar and charge controller on.

The generator engine was running fine the surging had to do with electrical load

The amp surging would occur both on and off eco mode.

The amp surging was like a 30 second cycle.

My converter has four charging cycles as the charging on 75% battery level begins the converter could show 25+/- amps as the batteries become more charged it drops to 15a to 8amps and by the time ths batteries are at 90% to 3 amps or less. Which make charging on the generator for only 3 amps a waste of gas.

My batteries get down to 75/80% overnight.

This morning batteries down to 78% generator work fine no surging.

One interesting note although my batteries were at 78% my voltage level was at 12.1 MyChart says they should have been at 12.37 12.40?

2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243 wrote:

Which make charging on the generator for only 3 amps a waste of gas. Typical gen charging is 50-90% with solar to finish.

One interesting note although my batteries were at 78% my voltage level was at 12.1 MyChart says they should have been at 12.37 12.40? Typical chart voltage is for a battery at rest - ie NO loads for several hours. Draws reduce battery voltage and it will recover to its SOC at rest. Likely your battery was not at rest.

One main advantage of your battery monitor is the SOC reading.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/21 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243 wrote:

The generator engine was running fine the surging had to do with electrical load
So you found an intermittent load and all is actually fine?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/21 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243 wrote:

My converter has four charging cycles as the charging on 75% battery level begins the converter could show 25+/- amps as the batteries become more charged it drops to 15a to 8amps and by the time ths batteries are at 90% to 3 amps or less. Which make charging on the generator for only 3 amps a waste of gas.
What converter? Once you hit peak voltage on the battery (14.4 volts?) run the generator one additional hour and you are done.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One interesting note although my batteries were at 78% my voltage level was at 12.1 MyChart says they should have been at 12.37 12.40?
-----------------

If your monitor has the capacity too high and you use X ah in a day, then the batts will be down X ah and show the voltage for that, but the monitor will think they are higher in SOC than they are.

ISTR you are using your old battery bank this summer and one batt was worrisome, but you will get new batts this winter? You might be seeing what you would expect by now?

* This post was last edited 08/19/21 04:58pm by BFL13 *   View edit history

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, the voltage will be (somewhat) lower if the batteries are under load when you're checking the voltage. The chart values are for resting voltage usually. That said, my gut instinct is that 0.3V difference between resting and loaded voltage is fairly high for most circumstances where the battery bank is appropriately sized for the load.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 01:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most monitors do not compensate for Peurkert effect
Heavy loads such as inverter powered MW or coffee maker
Have a harder/stronger effect on battery capacity than the AmpHrs that are counted/measured by the monitor .
EXAMPLE
Use using 60 amps for 1 minutes, is not the same as using 1amp for 60 minutes, the monitor will count each event as 1 AmpHR, but the physical toll on the batteries is completely different, and with 60 amp load the batteries will have a lower voltage and less capacity than the 1amp load, even though the monitor will display the same SOC in each case

This could be your situation, according to battery voltage you were at 50% SOC, Not 78% indicated by AmpHR count,
3 amps or not, you need to get those batteries up to full, that means 14.4v and under 1 amp rate per 100AmpHR capacity,
0.5 amps per 100 at 14.4 volts is what I use to indicate full charge, the capacity count will indicate 100% before the batteries reach that charge rate, but I charge them until they reach that point, more batteries die from under charging sulphation buildup, than over charging, 400AmpHR bank, I charge until batteries take 2 amps or less at 14.4v

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

If I remember correctly, the Victron monitor does do a Peurkert calculation.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Honda 2000i generator amps surging up and down
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.