RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How fast do you drive with camper on? .

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How fast do you drive with camper on? .

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually drive the speed limit and that's up to 80 in parts of the desert west.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Longshore

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am comfortable at 60 to 65 no matter what everyone else is doing. Wet weather a little less.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drive your RV. Within short order, you will develop a feel for how fast you can drive under certain conditions.

If you can't figure it out quickly, you probably shouldn't be driving an RV.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Not to drift off topic but gas mileage has never been a concern as to how fast I drive.

I drive at speeds that I am comfortable at and the gas mileage is what it is.

It's not the economy so much as the range that bothers me. Increasing the range = work.

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have driven as fast as 80 mph to get past a long line of tractor trailer rigs but otherwise keep my speed well below 70 mph. With a camper the truck is having to overcome air drag with increases exponentially with speed. At 80 MPH the air drag is 300% greater than at 40 mph.

With my own diesel pickup and a cabover camper the truck would average 13 mpg on the highway at 62-65 mph. With a 10 mph headwind I was in effect driving at 72 mph and the miles per gallon would decrease by 10%. If I was driving at 70 mph with a 10 mph headwind the truck would drop to 8-9 mpg and I was consuming 20% more diesel fuel and would need to make a fuel stop much sooner.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are trips I take only for the purpose of getting the horse from one competition to another such as San Francisco Bay are to Lexington Kentucky. Thats 2500 miles. The name of the game is to minimize the hours that the horse spends traveling so that we can maximize the total number of rest days before the competition to let the horse recover and get used to the new surroundings. Thats a 4 day drive followed by 5 recovery days and four days of competition then 4 days back home. After that the horse gets at least a week of nothing but hand walking. So yeah I am doing 75-80 across Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Nebraska...Fuel costs are not important. Not letting the fuel gauge drop below 1/4 tank is.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on the speed limit and the condition of the road.

Interstate hwy, 65ish, unless the speed limit is lower than 65.

other roads, I follow the speed limit or go slower when needed due to the condition of the road, traffic conditions, etc.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Geewizard

WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/21 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive 65-70 most of the time on interstate highways but have comfortively driven at the same speeds on good gravel roads in AK and the Yukon.

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
2 Fullriver 100AH AGM batteries
Compressor fridge
Wave 3 Heater
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/21 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

So yeah I am doing 75-80 across Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Nebraska...Fuel costs are not important. Not letting the fuel gauge drop below 1/4 tank is.

You've probably passed me at one time or another. [emoticon]

I've had campers towing horses fly past me several times.

And I totally agree with the fuel cost. I drive where I'm comfortable and the cost of fuel is what it is.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/21 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Once a nuisance, always a nuisance.

lol, fixed it for ya...

Well, at least most of the reading has made this a good thread.

Just got back from 60+ days on the road. Freeways suck, and we use them to get somewhere, so speed limit it is. Have no problem doing 80's, and the MPG difference is remarkably minimal. Compared to my actual monthly fuel bill per month..it doesn't even register.

With that, we were less than 1000 miles total on freeway. The rest is on mostly secondary county/state roads. I drive what we're comfortable with, but....BUT.... ARE you listening folks who don't get the hell out of the way..... we pull over often, because it's not my place to hold up commerce just because I'm in a different place in my head than the rest of the world (relaxed).

It's annoyingly funny to watch someone tool along at a snails pace and then not pull over to let others pass; remember...."you're obviously not in a hurry/on a schedule/trying to make a living". I just don't get it.

My wife points out that most often it's not an attitude, it's just a lack of paying attention to ones surroundings and basic awareness. Folks just don't pay attention. And I know she's right.

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How fast do you drive with camper on? .
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.