RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How fast do you drive with camper on? .

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How fast do you drive with camper on? .

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/21 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

I have gotten over 16 with a tail wind

[emoticon]

16.4 is the best I've ever done with my truck empty at 65 mph. I've done it a few times so I know it wasn't just a fluke.

I don't think I've ever traveled very far at 55 even back in the '70s when the speed limit was lowered to 55.

Mine only weighs about 10,500 fully loaded.

It makes little sense to compare your gasser with a CTD. I don't drive much with an empty truck but it should do close to 20 mpg @ 65. I don't think I can remember doing 55 for any period of time so I would be guessing at 14 mpg with the camper.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/21 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

It makes little sense to compare your gasser with a CTD. I don't drive much with an empty truck but it should do close to 20 mpg @ 65. I don't think I can remember doing 55 for any period of time so I would be guessing at 14 mpg with the camper.

Always nice to see what the other guy is getting. Diesels are impressive.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/21 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

[image]

Just don't be this guy. The posted speed liming was 65 mph.
There were 3 more vehicles behine me.

gitpicker2009

texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always set the cruise at about 62-65. Above that and the wind resistance kills mileage. I average about 12mpg with an AF1150 on a 4500 Sterling dually.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

[image]

[image]

Just don't be this guy. The posted speed liming was 65 mph.
There were 3 more vehicles behine me.

Had to do a double take to make sure that wasn't me (not bloody likely though, lol). But it appears the slo mo is driving a Ford, so the struggle is real!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really don't worry about speed... it's all about the THE DISTANCE AND HOW MUCH GAS IS IN YER TANK.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And what is that guy going 48 mph supposed to do? I see there is a passing lane in the other direction. So it might not be long.

Fortunately with a diesel I am not underpowered. A gentle hill like that would be 65 mph in 5th or maybe topped out at 6th gear.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

And what is that guy going 48 mph supposed to do?

Most of the areas out West have pullovers or shoulders for slow moving vehicles. It isn’t that hard to use them usually.

Fwiw, I pull over or slow down around passing zones if I see someone trying to pass to make it safer for them to pass. They only get one shot with my help though. With a string of cars behind me, I’ll just pull over when I can. Again, I don’t want to contribute to a wreck because I didn’t want to pull over. If I’m not in a hurry, then I don’t think it makes sense to hold other people up.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

And what is that guy going 48 mph supposed to do?

Most of the areas out West have pullovers or shoulders for slow moving vehicles. It isn’t that hard to use them usually.

Fwiw, I pull over or slow down around passing zones if I see someone trying to pass to make it safer for them to pass. They only get one shot with my help though. With a string of cars behind me, I’ll just pull over when I can. Again, I don’t want to contribute to a wreck because I didn’t want to pull over. If I’m not in a hurry, then I don’t think it makes sense to hold other people up.

You're the exception to the rule. Most people who drive slow have no concept of courtesy, are oblivious to the line of cars they're holding up, or are holding up traffic on purpose.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

And what is that guy going 48 mph supposed to do? I see there is a passing lane in the other direction. So it might not be long.

Fortunately with a diesel I am not underpowered. A gentle hill like that would be 65 mph in 5th or maybe topped out at 6th gear.

Look for a pullout and let others pass. He passed several of them and drove through two small towns before we came to a passing lane.

He's just plain inconsiderate of others.

The was a down grade. Diesel of gas had nothing to do with his choice for speed.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How fast do you drive with camper on? .
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.