RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How fast do you drive with camper on? .

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How fast do you drive with camper on? .

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

You're the exception to the rule. Most people who drive slow have no concept of courtesy, are oblivious to the line of cars they're holding up, or are holding up traffic on purpose.

Amen. I followed three of them same day same HWY.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

This is about the only time I might be considered not very courteous.
If you're coming up an on ramp, don't look and don't signal I'm not budging one inch.

Heavy traffic, you're looking for a spot to merge into traffic, you're signaling..... I'll give you all the room you need.

joeshmoe

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/21 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's the flip side where often I'm on some two lane hwy with a 55 or 65 limit, but the three or four cars behind me want to go 85-90. These people are willing to make an extremely dangerous move just to get past me, putting everyone at risk.

Me driving the speed limit or at a safe speed for the conditions at worst might make some people frustrated. Passing wrecklessly, playing chicken with oncoming traffic is the ultimate inconsiderate move.

2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/21 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

45-55 mph. For me, its more than fast enough and I'm usually meandering on two lane back country away from the main routes more than I am on interstates. Plus, the truck is old and powered by a naturally aspirated small block V8 gas engine. Even with 4.10s, she's not going to be winning any races [emoticon].

On my bigger trips, I normally only drove about 200-300 miles a day at tops, as I was more interested in the journey than just the destination.

If we're on flat lands, I usually pull off to let folks get around, or when we reach the top of a grade if we're climbing one, pulling out before then just means the next batch of folks will be stuck behind me going even slower because I'll have lost my momentum and will be starting again on a hill, so instead of going up the hill at 45, they're now doing it at 30.

On most quality roads, there are usually passing lane segments that come up and that's when most folks can safely get around.

* This post was edited 08/25/21 12:49pm by JoeChiOhki *

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On 2 lane roads, I'm usually at or more likely slghtly over the speed limit and I use pullouts when I have 5 vehicles behind me as required in many states but often with less than 5 or even one if they've been back there for awhile. However, it seems there is often someone who is in such a hurry that they will pass me in a no passing zone.

hotrodfords

Hops Capitol USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

~70 MPH, not to exceed road conditions or speed limit

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joeshmoe wrote:

Me driving the speed limit or at a safe speed for the conditions at worst might make some people frustrated. Passing wrecklessly, playing chicken with oncoming traffic is the ultimate inconsiderate move.

You can argue who is the most inconsiderate, but the point is that many of us prefer not to make people frustrated. That encourages them to take a risk and potentially putting us in the middle of a wreck if they don’t make it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/21 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

Agree with 1Flyboy - we run generally 50-60, lots of back roads, enjoy the scenery, and are retired -- never in a hurry.

Generally take an extra day or two getting there. Sleep till I'm rested Get into camp early enough to have time for a good workout, go for walks, get settled. I avoid the freeways, big cities and the race.

I like old mountain towns uncrowded no tourists. I like it when the gas attendant says your the biggest excitement of the day. LOL

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/21 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never set the cruise on the return trip to CO over 70. I'm going to tally up the fuel bill to see if it was worth it. I was too chicken to push the fuel stops to the limit, so could have realistically pulled the same stops at 75 vs 70. Truck seemed happier though, only downshifted for a scant few hills coming back vs going down at 75 zinging back and forth 4-3-4.

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

macdale4

Apopka, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

70ish. I had a blow out at 65 and totaled out the truck, camper and tow jeep in less time than it takes to type it. The faster you go the more catastrophic the outcome if something goes wrong. I like 65 but it seems hard to maintain on the interstate.

Dale & Eileen
1998 Lance 945 Legend
2011 Ford F-350, dually, 4 X 4

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How fast do you drive with camper on? .
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.