RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How fast do you drive with camper on? .

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How fast do you drive with camper on? .

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 10:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

yada.... read above, no need to repeat it all... yada

You have lot's of good points I guess. A very detailed and windy explanation for behavior, no doubt supporting a pattern of driving that you are comfortable with. Perfect.

I've driven 14... and 14A. 'pucker factor' comment leads me to a better understanding or where you're coming from, and I think I'll just leave it there.

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/21 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

People impede traffic for different reasons.
Some because they are ignorant to their surroundings, don't know the laws that pertain to impeding traffic or because they are that they only care about themselves and some because they have no choice, like the Walmart truck in the picture.

I took this picture Monday heading south on I-15 in an 80 mph zone.
I had my cruise set at 88 mph and when I saw the truck signal to change lanes so he could pass the other truck I applied my brakes and flashed my headlights signaling him that he could change lanes.

The Shaffer truck was most likely going 63 or 64 mph and the Walmart truck was going 65-66 mph. It took a few miles for the Walmart truck to get past the Shaffer truck and I'm OK with this.

If either one of those two trucks had to slow down it could take them MILES to regain the speed they lost. In my car it takes only seconds to get back up to speed.

The people that pi$$ me off are the people in the slow lane that wait until the last minute to change lanes to pass a slower moving vehicle and make me slow way down. Why don't they yield to the faster moving traffic or speed up themselves?? Those and the ignorant people.

Everybody is on the road for different reasons. If you're holding up traffic please pull over the first chance you get. You are not the only one out there.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/21 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I merged onto a highway late at night one night with two trucks tailing each other both ended up behind me when I merged in front of them but, they came within 6 or 8 feet tailing me at 5 over the speed limit of 65. going up to 80 miles an hour would not get them to back off. When the one lane turned into two lanes for a passing lane I did not hesitate to get over. Problem came when I slowed down gradually to the speed limit to let them pass, one of the trucks failed to get over to and almost hit me. I never have seen a truck swerving like that having such a hard time regaining control after avoiding me and getting over. These two drivers were nuts. I was almost killed.

After going up the hill in the passing area, back on flat land I clocked them both at over 80 miles an hour in a 60 zone for big rigs.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/21 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

I clocked them both at over 80 miles an hour in a 60 zone for big rigs.

I wish my work truck would go 80 mph. [emoticon]

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/21 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you cut the truck off (probably just a shorter distance than they are used to) and they didn’t like it.

But, I agree if the point is that most trucks can do better than barely faster than the one in the right lane. They just don’t want to.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/21 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

They just don’t want to.

I totally disagree with this.

Most privately owned trucks and some larger companies don't govern the speed of their trucks, HUGE companies do.

The Volvo that I drive doesn't even slow down 1 mph climbing grades fully loaded and has plenty of power but still wont exceed 68 mph.

I see semi's that put their brakes on when going down small hills because they are continually tracked and penalized for exceeding what ever the speed the company has limited them too, generally close to 65 mph, some as low as 62 mph.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/21 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

jimh425 wrote:

They just don’t want to.

I totally disagree with this.

Most privately owned trucks and some larger companies don't govern the speed of their trucks, HUGE companies do.

I said most, not all. Also, I can easily pass other vehicles going the same speed as me if I go 2 mph faster for a very short time. It doesn’t take miles unless you are going essentially the same speed.

On my latest trip, a truck pulled over in front of me way before he had to. If he would have waited 2 more seconds, I would have been by him. Instead, he pulled over and attempted to pass the other truck. They were going the same speed for most of the time. Eventually, he made the pass. That was not the governor. That was the operator. Btw, I’ve seen everything from small cars, trucks, and RVs doing the same thing. Not hating on the truck industry. The fact is there are a lot of new truck drivers out there that are very bad at their job just like there are bad/iconsiderate regular drivers.

No, all trucks don’t drive like that one. Some are super considerate and I experienced them as well on the same trip. I try to hurry by them if it is obvious they are catching the truck in front of them. I do the same for cars.

mountainkowboy

Socal/NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/21 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

covered wagon wrote:

I clocked them both at over 80 miles an hour in a 60 zone for big rigs.

I wish my work truck would go 80 mph. [emoticon]

Red will go that fast.......at like 4 mpg.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/21 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

I merged onto a highway late at night one night with two trucks tailing each other both ended up behind me when I merged in front of them but, they came within 6 or 8 feet tailing me at 5 over the speed limit of 65. going up to 80 miles an hour would not get them to back off. When the one lane turned into two lanes for a passing lane I did not hesitate to get over. Problem came when I slowed down gradually to the speed limit to let them pass, one of the trucks failed to get over to and almost hit me. I never have seen a truck swerving like that having such a hard time regaining control after avoiding me and getting over. These two drivers were nuts. I was almost killed.

After going up the hill in the passing area, back on flat land I clocked them both at over 80 miles an hour in a 60 zone for big rigs.

You merged onto a single lane, limited access divided highway? Interesting. Not sure I've seen that beefo.
But anyway, great story....

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How fast do you drive with camper on? .
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.