|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
sssooo

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How hard is it to install a CB radio in a 2018 fleetwood bounder?

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

should not be hard, if fiberglass then you will need a ground wire to the antenna. I have installed one on every RV we have own. All worked. You just have to pick a place usually drivers side front and look where to get cable if not already ran and the antenna mount.

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most difficult part is wiring to the antenna on the outside IMO. Power and mounting are usually easy on or under the dashboard. Breaker, breaker one nine.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

F-TROUP

VISALIA, CALIF

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't want to drill a hole in the MH body so I went with a window mount antenna 36" with no ground and my jeep CB antenna came setup so the antenna is not grounded. The only ground I did was the ground wire on the back of the CB itself. The main thing is a meter to set the antenna, so not sure on the antenna ground.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I mounted one on the side above the drivers window, sold it with the MH. There are groundless antennas that use the coax for the ground, limites the range more than the already limited range.

Not much chatter on CB these days, replaced by cells and ham radio. Questionable value these days IMHO.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

I mounted one on the side above the drivers window, sold it with the MH. There are groundless antennas that use the coax for the ground, limites the range more than the already limited range.

Not much chatter on CB these days, replaced by cells and ham radio. Questionable value these days IMHO.

To talk with truckers to get info on accidents/road conditions/ detours use channel 17 on the west coast or 19 in other states. You will get info on conditions approx. 1 mile ahead and behind your location. There is no separate CB channel just for RVers. Use a Wilson CB antenna for the best distance when talking with truckers or other people.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 04:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is easier than the first reply suggests
First.. If you do NOT have a driver's door here is what i did
I took a 2x4 beveled one edge a bit to make it look better, Stained it to approximate the primary interior color and bolted it to the wall next to the driver's seat... I will discoss other options in a bit.
I bolted brackets to this. Ran 10ga wire from teh batteries to a Rig-Runner power strip (Uses anderson power poles you do not need to do this) and mounted 3 2-way radios on the 2x4 along with other stuff.. Two CB's and a 50 watt ham rig.

Only issue I had was with condensation from teh window if you do that I'd suggest a drip guard (Silicon cutting sheet between bracket and 2x4 draped over radio to block drips (Cost me one radio)

For the antenna I ran the coax up and out the "A" pillar (The first pillar) and set a bracket so my NO GROUND PLANE antenna tip was about 1" higher than the highest point on the RV (Automatic "Bridge Stick")

ALternate point

The center "Pillar" on my Damon (Center of the dash between the seats) was just a plastic panel.
You can easily mount rails behind it and cut a hole for the radio and frame the hole so it looks good. Or mount the radio on it (I would put rails behind it to add support.. Rails are upright brackets bolted to the floor like an audio Rack Panel)

Oh the coax to the antenna

The hole I drilled was directly behind the bracket. Brought the coax out and atteaced the end (Connector) then filled the hole with GOOP (Adheasive sealant) to keep that which needs to be kept out... out.. then slapped the bracket over it and lagged it to the RV.

The bracket was half a mirror mount.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/21 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

To talk with truckers to get info on accidents/road conditions/ detours use channel 17 on the west coast or 19 in other states. You will get info on conditions approx. 1 mile ahead and behind your location.

Cell with mapping app does that even better. On freeways, 1 mile is often too late to do anything. A mapping app will typically look at your entire route every minute or so and update as needed.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

MarkTwain wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

To talk with truckers to get info on accidents/road conditions/ detours use channel 17 on the west coast or 19 in other states. You will get info on conditions approx. 1 mile ahead and behind your location.

Cell with mapping app does that even better. On freeways, 1 mile is often too late to do anything. A mapping app will typically look at your entire route every minute or so and update as needed.

my mapping app sucks. showed all kinds of red warnings for a section of road ahead. yes there were jersey walls along a section but nothing to react to. but we must worship our smart phones.
bumpy

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

MarkTwain wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

my mapping app sucks. showed all kinds of red warnings for a section of road ahead. yes there were jersey walls along a section but nothing to react to. but we must worship our smart phones.
bumpy

I guess if you want to call relying on superior technology "worshipping".

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.