RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Cracked rim on 2007 2500hd classic

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Cracked rim on 2007 2500hd classic

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
deltabravo

Spokane, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/20/21 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I’m guessing they are probably 1500 rims since that weight would be about right for a 1500.


Those are 8 lug wheels and were used on 1500HDs (a 1500 that had a GVWR of 8600 I think) and 2500 HDs. I have no idea if they were used on 2010 and older 3500s or not.

I would venture to guess that GM only made one version of that wheel, rather than a light duty version for the 1500HD and a heavier version for the 2500HD. THe problem of "two" weight ratings of the same wheel is that people wouldn't know they had different ratings and could mix them up.

2500HD GMT900 trucks had a rear axle rating of 6084 if I recall correctly. I had a 2002 2500HD with the same wheels. Those wheels were RPO code PYO.
I can't seem to find an official weight rating on a genuine PYO wheel, but it has to be higher than half the axle rating. I recall my rear tires were 3042 each for the weight rating.

OP:
Since your cracked wheel sports a low weight rating, I'd say it's an aftermarket look-alike PYO wheel and not one that came on a truck fro the factory, or from a GM dealer parts department.


2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/20/21 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on what I recall the PYO wheel's appearance being, your wheel is probably not OEM.
I recall OEM PYOs having marks on them, almost like machining marks, not a smooth polished appearance.


silverbullet555 wrote:


[image]


specta

utah

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2001

View Profile



Posted: 08/20/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

With a name and model number there should be a way to trace the specs.


Lead the way.


Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.


Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/20/21 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Start with posting pictures of those numbers Specta.
Same goes to OP.





silverbullet555

Boise

Senior Member

Joined: 05/28/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/20/21 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

If you have the name and model number you should be able to check the load rating. Don't assume they are suitable because they came off a 1 ton truck. The OP here also had them on an HD pickup.

Plenty of people buy wheels and tires they like without any regard to load ratings.


No! The OP here, me, had a wheel crack. The wheels on the truck are factory original the best of my knowledge. However, I DID buy an extra wheel that was supposed to be a factory GM wheel. It is entirely possible I was sold an inferior product and that is what is cracked. I'll find out this weekend when I pull another wheel off the truck and when I check my second set of wheels in storage.


1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"

specta

utah

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2001

View Profile



Posted: 08/20/21 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silverbullet555 wrote:



No! The OP here, me, had a wheel crack. The wheels on the truck are factory original the best of my knowledge. However, I DID buy an extra wheel that was supposed to be a factory GM wheel. It is entirely possible I was sold an inferior product and that is what is cracked. I'll find out this weekend when I pull another wheel off the truck and when I check my second set of wheels in storage.


I hope the others are good so you only have to buy one replacement.

specta

utah

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2001

View Profile



Posted: 08/20/21 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Start with posting pictures of those numbers Specta.
Same goes to OP.


Why???

I know what I bought and what I am going to use them for.

I have zero concerns.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/20/21 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:


I have zero concerns.


so why are you here?

specta

utah

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2001

View Profile



Posted: 08/20/21 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

specta wrote:


I have zero concerns.


so why are you here?


I never asked a question.
I never asked what the weight rating was on my wheels.
I never questioned my choice and purchase.
Others did.

So why are you here??

What are you soo concerned with??

ticki2

NH

Senior Member

Joined: 07/09/2008

View Profile



Posted: 08/21/21 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silverbullet555 wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

If you have the name and model number you should be able to check the load rating. Don't assume they are suitable because they came off a 1 ton truck. The OP here also had them on an HD pickup.

Plenty of people buy wheels and tires they like without any regard to load ratings.


No! The OP here, me, had a wheel crack. The wheels on the truck are factory original the best of my knowledge. However, I DID buy an extra wheel that was supposed to be a factory GM wheel. It is entirely possible I was sold an inferior product and that is what is cracked. I'll find out this weekend when I pull another wheel off the truck and when I check my second set of wheels in storage.


An original OEM GM PYO aluminum wheel has everything printed under the center cap , no need to pull the wheel just remove the cap .


'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Cracked rim on 2007 2500hd classic
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.