|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Cracked rim on 2007 2500hd classic

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Didn't we have a recent thread where the OP bought some spiffy looking wheels and thought they were OK because they had a Chevy Logo? Maybe that OP should do some more research. Nay, why bother.

[image]

I don't know why you think these are spiffy looking wheels with a Chevy logo on them when they are factory GM wheels,
not spiffy aftermarket wheels.

[image]

Here's an example of what they came off, a 2016 2500HD diesel.

My only guess is that you are trolling. Maybe you're the one who should do some research. I already did.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/21 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

I thought rim ratings didn't matter, rims never break...

I believe your comment falls under reducto ad absurdum.

This isn't exceeding the rating by a modest amount. Obviously, taken to the extreme, you can break a rim...but I would be truly shocked if it was documented that this is the stock tire provided by GM.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the first 10 years of my trucks life I read regularly the Duramax forums , learned a lot from some pretty sharp people . Never once during that period did I come across a failed OEM wheel post . Not saying it can’t happen , there can always be a flaw in manufacturing , but it’s pretty rare . I once had an inner steel dually crack completely around the hub .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

750/16's on split rims were the desired tire of old and even 6 ply for heavy stuff..[emoticon]

Times have changed....

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silverbullet555 wrote:

I am the second owner. Being an 8 lug rim, I never considered it being a 1500 rim. I know at one point, they made a 1500HD so I guess it is possible. I also bought a single rim that should've been the same as the others. I'm not sure which one cracked. The extra I bought or the original 4. I'll need to take a look at the other rims to see if their ratings are different.

The old 1500HD had a RGAWR of 6000 so that rim would not have come stock on that truck.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silverbullet555 wrote:

ticki2 wrote:

On my 03 2500hd there is no weight rating stamped in the wheels . I have not seen a GM wheel yet that showed a weight rating , only a part number . I wonder if that is a knockoff or OEM .

I'll climb under this weekend and take a look. I'll also look at the complete other set of wheels I have with snow tires on as I am really curious.

It is possible, the wheel I bought was a knockoff sold as a factory original. If that is the case, I'll feel much better and less like I need to buy new wheels all the way around.

Funny that the rating is in kg and not lbs.

Neither my factory steel or aluminum wheels have a weight ratting on them.

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/21 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Less than 2200 pounds? Irresponsible!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AFAIK, alloy rims in heavy duty applications (e.g. 3/4 & 1 ton) are forged and not cast…A forged wheel will NOT manifest a crack, but it will twist (*not unlike a popcorn kernel)…Most after market wheels are cheap ($$) because they are not forged, and I see these wheels on wannabee HD trucks all the time (tough guy looks trump safety and common sense…), even with heavy campers on them…Soon to be winners of the Darwin Award…

* for the unqualified naysayers, this IS what happened to my alloy Dually wheel when broadsided by a woman on a cell-phone - yes, forged aluminum will TWIST and wadd up exhibiting NO SIGNS of a crack…

3 tons

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Casting aluminum require high skills and when OP might have overloaded rims, they also look like cheap aftermarket.
I had similar incident with Mercedes, who had AMG (high upgrade) rims installed.
The rims were made in Czech Republic and pass MB quality inspection, yet they had several cracks like pictures, where the only explanation is factory defect as there was no mechanical damage to explain it.
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Here is how I reused good looking, but cheaply casted rims

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Douchey comments aside, that seems very strange to see such a low rating on what appears to be an OE wheel.
Def interested to see what you find on the other ones.

You do have a bit of a connundrum to find a better set of rims, OE quality/offset and economically, unless you're ok with Ram Logo caps.

GM changed lug pattern in 2011 I believe, so all the GM takeoff wheels will be 16" PYOs like you have, or 17" wheels which have no high load capacity tire availability.

Personally, if you want an economical set of OE quality wheels, I'd get a set of 18 or 20" Ram wheels.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Cracked rim on 2007 2500hd classic
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.