|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Brand New, Just beginning process

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
SuttonKS

Olathe, KS

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello! Empty nesters looking into first traveler trailer purchase and already overwhelmed. Is there a really good resource/guidebook to navigate through all the brands, models, best/worst years, reviews, costs, etc?
We know what we can pull, what we can spend, will buy a model a few years old, and have used NADA but it takes a lot just to figure out if one for sale is decent or not. Just looking to streamline/simplify a little bit. Looked around the forum a little and not sure where to start. TYIA if you reply or point us to a place to start!

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You just have to get out there and start looking at them... You won't know anything until you can physically see and touch them. NADA is worthless IMO..

Since you are looking used, even the best quality built model, (if any actually exist) can be a POS if it was not maintained well be the prior owner.

Go to RV shows and just walk thru them and find what things you like and what things you don't like and go from there..

They will be all the new/newest models, but will show you what's out there now.

You can poke and prod as you want, ask questions, but they are dealers and will basically tell you anything you want to hear...

When I first started looking for an RV back in 2002, we looked at used rigs.. Only looked at about a dozen of them from every make and they all were just trashed.. Not sure why the dealers put them on their lots to be honest..

After that, only looked for new.. Sure, they cost more, but it would be ours and not someone else's trash.

We bought a new Prowler Lynx made by Fleetwood RV.. They don't make TT's anymore, but that rig carried us to a lot of good times over the next 16 years!! And never let us down.. Sure, basic maintenance and a couple of minor initial things that I took care of myself.

Traded that rig for our current trailer a 2019 Rockwood made by Forest River.

Got one hell of a deal on the trade.. ($6500 and it was still in great shape)

I probably could have gotten a little more selling myself, but I hate doing that.. I just had to sign the title and they applied the trade amount to the new trailer and all was good!

Anyway, just saying you may get a lemon or you may get a diamond.. No one can say one way or the other and for every bad experience with a particular make or model, there are probably 2 times as many that love them...

Good luck and make it fun! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Carlos & Ranae

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there is an RV show near you, I suggest going to it. You will be able to compare brands and floor plans.

Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd recommend narrowing your search to what you think you want, then try to rent one as close as possible to let you see how much you really like it. RV rentals can be expensive, but not as expensive as buying a RV and finding out that your wife can't reach the over-the-refrigerator microwave, or that your legs are too long to sit on the toilet.

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/21 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look...Find a floor plan that you think will fit your needs. Almost all mfg.'s offer the same floor plans. Now go look at the floor plan you like made by different mfg.'s.
They ALL have their short comings. Once you find a brand that appeals to you more than the others start looking for used.
Remember...This is your first trailer. You may not get everything you want, but it will let you decide if RVing is for you. You can always get another(like most of us) down the road.
Good luck

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/21 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avoid all RVs you can’t pull, afford etc. That will cut the clutter in you head and make it easier to decide.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/21 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got my best advise on our 2nd trailer ..... go to a ma and pa dealer away from the city. I did just that and found a dealer that has worked for US on the last 4 trailer we have owned. Personally we like the Jayco brand they are a fair value and pretty much stay together in our very high usage.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/21 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, learn about weights of your tow vehicle and trailers. There’s a big difference between what the max tow weight of your TV is and what size trailer you can actually tow. Once you have an idea of the range of what you can safely tow, you can look at trailers that match.
For example, my Silverado has a payload of 1800 pounds and is rated to tow up to 9000 pounds. In reality, about the most it can tow is around 7000 pounds loaded before it runs out of payload.
Go to every RV dealer in your area and peruse the offerings.
Good luck and happy hunting.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/21 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All good advice that's been offered here... you might also check out Lazy Days RV and La Mesa RV... two of the biggest dealers in the country, and they have a search feature that allows you to narrow down some basic parameters. Do online searches to get some good ideas, and they generally include a lot of pics to offer you some visuals...

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/21 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You know what you can pull and what you can spend. These are a couple of good starting points. The (old) conventional wisdom says that for a first trailer buy used and save the money. Well, saving money on used trailers is not as easy as it used to be. Whatever you get, you will learn all about what you can pull. Find a floor plan that fits your needs and jump in. Soon you will learn a lot of stuff. Hopefully it will be good stuff. I found the hunt for our trailer to be challenging, frustrating at times but exciting over all. Best wishes with yours.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Brand New, Just beginning process
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.