|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Brand New, Just beginning process

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/21 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

For me size matters if you want to stay in specific campgrounds. If you want to go to X area and stay at B campground, then size can be a big factor. If you want to go to X area and are happy staying at B, D, F, G, and L campgrounds then size is not a big factor.

Also, you have to decide what your usage will be:

100 percent sightseeing/road trip
100 percent traditional camping
or some combination of them.

Choose for what you'll use it for the most and make due for the other. What makes a great camping rig won't necessarily be a great road trip rig.

Kind of making things very confusing.

You can 100% sight see/roadtrip in anything.

You can 100% traditional camp in anything.

From a car bench seat to a tent, to a motorcyclist with a backpack and bedroll, to a 45ft diesel pusher and beyond, all types of camping can be accomplish in one way or another in pretty much any form of transportation.

The only caveat would be some rigs may be too large to fit in some camping spots in some campgrounds. So what, move on to another campground that has spots large enough.

But, I am not really getting the vibe that the OP is talking about a 40+ ft length RV.

Not sure why folks make up these pretend rules and exclusionisms..

I didn't make up any pretend rules. I simply said to buy for what you want to do. If you're going to use it as "a bed off the ground" for traditional camping, then your wants and needs are likely different than if you want to use it to go sightseeing. Many folks start with a tent trailer because they want to sleep off the ground - after a couple years, they realize the tent trailer doesn't let them make overnight stops easily, so they switch it out for a TT so they can do that Disneyland trip, etc.

In addition, one layout/size may work well if you spend all your time outdoors, but if you want to be able to go inside and relax and watch tv, that same layout/size may be a miserable choice.

Or maybe you may spend 80 percent of your time just the two of you sightseeing and 20 percent with the grandkids at a camping resort. If you buy for the 20 percent, you may find it's not comfortable for the 80 percent.

So, figure out what you want to do the majority of the time and buy for that. Don't focus on the 2 weeks with the grandkids if that won't fit the 8 months on your own.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/21 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just this past Tuesday, I got back from a stay at a camping area in a state park that limits RV length to 20 feet or less.

I didn't specifically seek out a camping area which prohibits large RVs - It just happened to be the only area in the park that wasn't booked solid.

It was 30-40% full.

Last month, I ran into the same situation at another state park. The section that can accommodate 30+ foot RVs was completely full - No sites available to reserve.

The section I stayed in was almost completely empty.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/21 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to an RV dealer that will let you walk through them without a salesman following you. Take your time. You will quickly see what floor plans you like. Next see which manuf offer that floor plan in a weight rated for your truck. Then start looking online at those models and you can start weeding through the good and bad. When you find one, look it over closely for water leakage. Even new 6 month old units can leak and have issues. Look below windows and along the lower part of the corners of the walls. If it was leaking you will see the panels warped and or wavy.

And be prepared to buy when you see one you like. Nice Used units will go fast!

Good luck!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I didn't make up any pretend rules.

In addition, one layout/size may work well if you spend all your time outdoors, but if you want to be able to go inside and relax and watch tv, that same layout/size may be a miserable choice.

Or maybe you may spend 80 percent of your time just the two of you sightseeing and 20 percent with the grandkids at a camping resort. If you buy for the 20 percent, you may find it's not comfortable for the 80 percent.

So, figure out what you want to do the majority of the time and buy for that. Don't focus on the 2 weeks with the grandkids if that won't fit the 8 months on your own.

[emoticon]

20% this

80% that

Don't focus on this but focus on that..

Sounds like a bunch more rules.

In the big picture of the entire world, layouts really do not matter, they are a "preference". In reality anyone can make any layout work, IF they wish to.

Same goes for size and type of RV, or color or interior decor..

Sometimes one MUST make some "sacrifices" to the preferences.

Making all these percentages and rules will highly limit the OP as to finding a RV local, in the weight and size they can tow and be affordable.

First and foremost, the OP needs to simply figure out their tow vehicles capacity.

Then decide how comfortable they are with different sizes and lengths and weights within the tow capacity they have..

Then they can decide how much money they can afford to spend on a recreational vehicle.

Much less a made up percentage or rules game to this.

Folks are spoiled, I grew up camping first in a tent, then in a homemade camper out of a truck cap and then a slide in TC. Six of us kids plus two adults.. We didn't have much choice in color, decor and size. Dad bought what he could find and afford so we all could go places we would never have been able to go.

Right now, OP can't really be very picky about any RV, unless you have been living under a rock, there are shortages with materials for pretty much everything. Those shortages have affected quantity of new inventory which has affected used inventory.

Used RV market is extremely tight right now, very low inventory for sale and what is for sale is selling like pancakes and for premium prices.

OP may need to snap decision on the first trailer they find that is within their TV capacity and within their price range.. Everything else comes after that.

Most campground have published info on sizes of RVs, how many sites for certain sizes they have so it shouldn't be all that much of a surprise. If there is ever a question about max length, call the campground manager before booking..

And also booking 6 months to a yr ahead if possible is always a good idea especially in extremely popular places.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's the point in having an RV now if it doesn't work for what you plan on doing? Take it out once and hate it (because you have to climb over each other at bedtime since you got a bunkbed layout instead of a walk around bed layout) so it sits in storage (because you didn't wait for one that fit in your side yard) while you sit at home

I think the OP can comprehend my comments even if you seem to be unable to do so.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And no, it's not about being spoiled. It's about getting something you'll actually use and enjoy using instead of something you hate.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carlos & Ranae wrote:

If there is an RV show near you, I suggest going to it. You will be able to compare brands and floor plans.

This is the best response for you OP. You need to actually step foot into these campers and decide what works for YOU. When I was researching my current trailer, I did internet research first and found a make/model/floorplan that I thought was great. I had narrowed onto that particular camper... until I saw it in person. The online floorplan looked great, but in reality it wasn't good. The build quality was very poor. Cabinets didn't fully open because the slide wall was in the way, beds that appeared spacious in floorplan were tiny coffins in real life and the quality was very low.

I ended up going to several RV shows a year for a couple years before we narrowed our search to our current trailer. You need to step foot inside different manufacturers products and trim lines to learn what is acceptable at that price point to you, what you absolutely have to have and what you absolutely will not accept.

There are many options out there. Do your research before you bring your check book. Good luck, camping is a great time!

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the Original Poster... Ignore the disagreements among board members. Some people just like to argue.

My advice to you is that it took me 4 Travel Traitors before I found the layout that I liked. I think that is common. Don't get to hung up on finding the perfect one the first time. You have to use it for awhile to get the feel of what you do and don't like.

By a used one first and after that you will have a better idea of what you are looking for and can then decide what it is that you want in a camper.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/21 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am with Toedtoes. Try not to read too much into what he is saying but his points are worth thinking about. Think about what you are planning to do with your trailer. We had a tent trailer for 17 years and we camped in it. After the kids left we wanted an inside bathroom and a refrigerator so we purchased a hybrid. Now we were retired and wanted to travel long distances in our trailer and the constant up and down of the beds became tiresome. We got caught in wet weather a time or two as well and that made it tougher. We went with a hard sided trailer. Slides are great but quick stops for lunch and bathroom breaks while on the road can be tough if you have a slide that does not allow access when pulled in. Can you travel in a tent trailer? Of course. Can you travel in a hybrid? Can you travel in a trailer which requires to put out the slide, even to use the bathroom? Of course you can! Do you want to, is the question.
Since this is your first trailer it most likely won't be your last. Following ToedToes suggestions might help you out in the long run.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/21 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHEW!! Lots of "discussion" here.
When we started looking in 2005, we set requirements that we wanted.
A sofa. Large, enclosed, heated tanks. Nice bathing area (not in the hallway). Small enough to park anywhere. Affordable.
Well, in 2018, we moved into our perfect tow behind. Finally. This is our 4th unit. Looong story.
The moral here is that the first trailer you decide upon might soon be replaced by a "better" one.
Have fun looking.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Brand New, Just beginning process
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.