RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Trailer Valet?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Trailer Valet?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/21 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I have a parking issue at home. All I want is to push the nose sideways a few feet, but it's just not possible with the truck, and still unhitch.

I looked up trailer valet devices and they all seem to be ball hitch only. There is one that looks like a lunar rover that claims 3-5k lbs but it's expensive and still not really a 5er device.

Has anyone built any sled or dolly? I don't have to go far, or often, but it sure would be nice.

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/21 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RickLight wrote:

So I have a parking issue at home. All I want is to push the nose sideways a few feet, but it's just not possible with the truck, and still unhitch.

I looked up trailer valet devices and they all seem to be ball hitch only. There is one that looks like a lunar rover that claims 3-5k lbs but it's expensive and still not really a 5er device.

Has anyone built any sled or dolly? I don't have to go far, or often, but it sure would be nice.

Probably your best option , and you probably don’t want to hear it ,but get rid of that Pullrite , that’s the issue right there , not being able to disconnect at an angle , common issue with that hitch . Any quality manual slider or better yet the Andersen hitch would solve the issue. Most likely your cheapest option.

Andersen works very well with my Ram short bed , and I have a very sharp back into my driveway .

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/21 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hear you, but I like the back of my cab too much. For us the auto slider is best.

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/21 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the trailer valet combined with the Andersen pin to ball adaptor alone would solve your problem.

2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD 6.5' box SRW Denali Duramax Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 04:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you on pavement? Back close, set the legs on car dollies, then use a bar to lever it where you want it. Be sure the chocks are close to be sure it doesn't go to far.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just remember, wherever you put it, you'll have to get it back to hook up again.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Roger10378

Goodrich, MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's all a matter of physics. You are trying to move the pin which is about 4 ft. in the air. You need a large base and/or a lot of weight or it tips over instead of moving the trailer.

2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

lightfoot

Cary, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Parkit360. they have a unit that is costly, but works with fifth wheels.

USN EN2
2012 Ford F250 SC, 6.7L TD
2015 Voltage 3200
2004 Honda GL1800

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RickLight wrote:

I hear you, but I like the back of my cab too much. For us the auto slider is best.

The way the front end on your fifth wheel is made ,and the position the Andersen sits in the bed , it wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't get 90 degrees . In the 16 years I have been towing four different fifth wheels ,not once have I needed to get 90 degrees , or for that matter anywhere close , but it seems to many that's important.

As said ,I have to crank it pretty sharp to get into my driveway , and I have the shortest bed of the three . Ram being the shortest ,and your Ford being the longest. I have watched a friend of mine with the same truck you have back his fifth wheel, and I have never seen where he needs to pull his manual slider back. I would have to ask him ,but I don't think he's ever had to use the slider . Just food for thought, or live with that Pullrite.

Another friend , somewhat the same situation as you ,had the Superglide, and same truck .. He grew tired of that Superglide pretty quick, combination of the unhitching restrictions at an angle ,and just the weight of getting it in ,and out of his truck . He too went with the Andersen ,same as I did.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's just say for instance it was possible to lift the front of your fiver with something like GoJak Dollies. How would you then move that 10,000 lbs behemoth and keep it from getting away from you? Cause once it starts to roll, then it don't want to stop.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Trailer Valet?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.