RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Mechanics backed up for weeks all over?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Mechanics backed up for weeks all over?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, and even pre-Covid.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, if something like this is a real concern for you traveling and beginning full timing, then it may not be the right decision for you.
That said, in general it seems, no, wait, there is evidence that all the past and continued financial stimuli, extra/extended unemployment insurance and other charity programs that are in place has put a strain on available (I mean willing) workforce in the lower level career paths.
AKA, companies can't find help.
Combine this with the rampant supply chain issues and rapid inflation in the last 6-8 months following a big hit from the pandemic, things aren't quite the same.
But are you going to wait around for 4 more years before this chit show hopefully ends, or go do what you want to do, which is travel?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And, yes, according to my buddy who's the lead mechanic at a private repair shop here, the lack of new vehicle availability and inflation is very good for business.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The shop down the street looked barren yesterday. Only about 30 cars sitting in the parking area to be serviced by their 4 mechanics. Usually there are over 50 waiting....and I live in a semi-rural area. They do have one apprentice handling the oil changes, scanning check-engine lights and minor other stuff.

SlowBro

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess by these responses that there's not some nationwide state-of-the-industry report. I couldn't think of Google terms to search for it.

What do full-timers do, if they can't have it in a park and must leave it for six weeks at the shop? This shop in particular has a gate and we'd either not be allowed after close of business, or we'd be locked in at night without hookups, or we'd have to store it somewhere else--maybe a park, maybe not, depending on the functionality of the vehicle to get it to a park. Seems like a real trap. I guess they'd either go to a hotel or go stay with someone for six weeks.

In my instance I do have the ability to take it to our current home, but it got me to thinking.

2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.

God bless!

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My second car has been sitting at the shop for a week and I haven't even gotten an estimate.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fried of mine with a brand new Ram dually, batteries are completely dead. His selling dealership can't get him in until 9/21. He found another dealer 25 miles away and paid for a flat bed to take his truck there. Even they said 3 weeks.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can see how this could be concerning for someone who cannot even do so much as an inspection or oil change. However things haven’t “really” changed in that respect. More so the OP is beginning to overthink the what if’s of living on the road….or maybe never considered them in the first place.

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

averaging 2-3 weeks here for an inspection

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Mechanics backed up for weeks all over?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.