|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Umbilical cord markers/reminders

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been RVing for about 35 years now, and like most of us, I have a routine for packing up. Usually it works well, but as most of you can relate to, if something happens that disrupts that routine, things can get overlooked. Last year, I was nearly done packing up when my son-in-law asked me to help him with his WDH. That's all it took to disrupt me, and I hopped in my RV (after helping him) and pulled out...still plugged in to the power pedestal.

But I've come up with a great backup that has been working well for me. I purchased a package of "Slap Bracelets" on Amazon for about $7. I then used a P-Touch label machine to label them; Water, Sewer, Elec, TV Ant. These are stored on their respective units (i.e. the ELEC is attached to the cord end, the WATER attached to the city water inlet, etc). When I hook anything up, I take that slap bracelet and put it on my wrist. Once fully set up, I take them all off my wrist and put them on my steering wheel.

Now, when packing up, I will put each of those back on their respective units as I disconnect each. If any are still left on the steering wheel or wrist when I get ready to leave...I know that I am still attached to something.

Just thought I'd share.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 TriZinger, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter how distracted I get I ALWAYS do a walk-around before I get behind the wheel. Perhaps a simple, "did you do a walkaround?" on the steering wheel will suffice.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

similar to what we used to do as a visual reminder to lower the TV antenna. what we've been doing is a written checklist. my wife reads the checklist and I respond. i know what you mean about being interrupted but so far our 2-person checklist works well.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never use any hookups except the occasional electricity. In the cubby with the cord, I keep an old yellow plastic margarine cup. That cup goes onto the driver's seat when I plug in to the pedestal and gets put away when I unplug. Free, lightweight, and foolproof.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good idea! I’ve been using a 3x5 card with tasks in order for departure. I go through it twice.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After I think that everything put away and or secured, toad hooked up and lights checked. I will do 2 walk arounds, the first looking up awnings, antennae nothing loose. The second walk around from the drivers door is looking down, wheel chocks, leveling blocks, all connections toad, hookup all disconnected and compartment doors locked. I then get in and pull off site (or driveway at home) and park on road with 4 way flashers on. I then walk back to the campsite and make sure that nothing is left, chairs etc and that the site is clean. Then back to the MH and on the way. Has worked for me for 10 years.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good idea ! I use a different method. The one you use works for you and that's great. Maybe someone else can use it or get inspiration from it.

Thanks for posting it.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/21 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

No matter how distracted I get I ALWAYS do a walk-around before I get behind the wheel. Perhaps a simple, "did you do a walkaround?" on the steering wheel will suffice.

This.

I do a walk around, Tammy does a walk around locking the door & hatches and then she directs me out of the site (even if it's a wide open site). She then follows up by looking for any misc stuff left on the site.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used velcro "cable ties" (especially on the crank handle of the antenna) If something was used or put up - the tie went on the steering wheel.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been RVing for over 3 decades as well and with every rig we have developed a system for set up and breakdown, our kids all had their responsibilities when arriving or leaving our site. Thanks for posting your solution, it certainly will assist others to develop a system that works well for their particular situation. We don't utilize a physical list and will do a final walkaround, but that is still no guarantee you won't forget or overlook something, no matter the system we all can make mistakes from time to time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Umbilical cord markers/reminders
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.