|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Absorption vs. Residential refrigerator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My current rig - a 2017 Newmar Ventana LE - has a 12 c.f. 4-door refrigerator/freezer. Runs on 120 or propane, and simply does not keep the ice cream cold enough, and even at the highest setting, previously frozen foods begin to thaw, though only slightly. Temporary solution to this was the acquisition of a Dometic portable cooler (75DZ) that does a much better job of keep the ice cream in an acceptable state.

The issue for me is this: I'm considering trading up to a new MH, and my research suggests most if not all new coach's come with residential all-electric fridge. Since I boondock often, and will continue to do so, I also plan to move my current Battle Born Lithiums to the new coach (100Ah each, 4 total). I currently also have about 600 total watts of solar, and have room for another 600 watts (3 panels), and it's a given that I'll probably have an equivalent wattage output for solar on the new rig.

I'm attempting to learn as much as I can about the differences between Residential vs. Absorption fridge's, and why I would want one over the other. Capacity isn't a big issue for me, but I wouldn't want to go smaller than what I already have... To be sure, I'll be spending time at traditional RV parks with shore power, but again, there's the ice cream thing... I'd very much appreciate your insight and experience in guiding me toward the knowledge level I seek to make an informed decision - TIA! 

Michael

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll never go back to absorption and primarily boondock. Usable space and cooling are superior in all conditions and at all elevations. You don't have to worry about being even remotely level and they're far more dependable/ less finicky.

I replaced the 7.5cu. ft absorption fridge in our truck camper with a 9.8cu. ft. apartment fridge and it uses 1.0-1.3kWh/day.

I replaced the 13cu. ft. absorption fridge in our fifth wheel with a 17.5cu. ft. counter-depth residential. It uses 1.6-1.9kWh/day, and we use the ice maker extensively as well.

I'd consider more solar and a larger battery bank... but don't like having to depend on a generator. 600W of panels might yield 3kWh if you're extremely lucky in the winter. Probably under 2kWh. Each Battleborn is roughly 1.2kWh, so not accounting for any charging, your fridge will deplete 1-2 batteries each day. Assuming you don't want to deplete your batteries each night and you want to be able to sustain through at least some inclement weather, you probably want a bank of 6+ batteries and triple the array.

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking cause it's such a large absorption fridge that there is some reason it won't keep up? My set up, which is a smaller 6 c.f. Norcold with a separate freezer compartment has no issue keeping everything cold in the fridge and frozen hard in the freezer. Actually we occasionally freeze the lettuce in the fridge if we're not watching things.....that would be our biggest grump about our Norcold. For this reason, I hope to never go to a compressor fridge, though I do see that it is the way things are going. I like using my 12v power for other things and not thinking about my batteries at all. Does seem like most who make the jump to compressor fridges say they'd never go back, so there must be something to it.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spent our first 4-1/2 years full-time with an Norcold absorption refrigerator... nothing but problems with it including replacing the complete cooling unit once. Our new rig has an 18 cu. ft. counter-depth residential refrigerator. We only have two BB 100AH LiFePO4 batteries and 300 watts of solar. We don't boondock, but even on long, overcast travel days, we arrive at our destination with the batteries at 13.4V or above. We couldn't be more pleased with the setup. Oh - 38 deg. in the frig and -2 in the freezer... never varies.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my absorption fridge dies, I will replace it with an electric unit.

See if the maker uses a Danfoss compressor in their unit.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 03:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

See if the maker uses a Danfoss compressor in their unit.

Danfoss has been bought and sold a couple of time in the past 15 years of so. I don't know if they still use that brand name or not.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absorption has the advantage of running on propane. this can be a boon when you are not hooked to power but.... With modern solar systems. not as much

Compressor (residential) come in a couple types.. The standard one like you have at home draws 100s of watts when running.

At one time both Norcold and Dometic have what I call "Danfoss" class (Danfoss is one of the companies that make the compressors, there are others)

These draw LESS THAN 50 watts running with the door closed and do a fine job.
They are 120/12 volt only.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/21 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had an issue with absorption other than slow to cool if you put in warm stuff.

If you have a good solar/battery system, consider 12v fridges as they are now becoming common place in RVs and are more efficient.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thinking about getting back into Raving. Two things I don't want in a new RV are propane and a black water tank. There are much better alternatives that provide the same functionality at lower cost or at least less maintenance.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/21 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With your batteries and solar situation I believe you are well suited to switch fridges.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Absorption vs. Residential refrigerator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.