RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Do pass-through windows leak?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Do pass-through windows leak?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 11/20/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/25/21 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suppose it depends on the model of window and the quality of the install. I added one on my restoration, reusing a rear window from another camper that was already known to be able to handle road spray.

I do plan to get the foam boot to go around it, as I'm hoping to convert the rear window on my truck to a slider type from the current non-slider glass that is in there now.

Its vastly too small for a person to do anything with, but its more than large enough for air flow and to allow for the locating of the cat's enclosed litter box on its platform behind the seats in the cab when the camper is parked for the night so that its out from under foot.


My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL


joeshmoe

So Cal

Senior Member

Joined: 08/17/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/25/21 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine leaks somewhat in driving rain, but that doesn't happen often. Usually put a towel down.

The PDI tech warned me it might leak. He said they generally install a solid pane, one-piece glass if its really bad.


2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

dhull

Some Lake Some where

Full Member

Joined: 08/05/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/25/21 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours leaked, Wolf Creek 840, had sliding window that leaked while driving in downpour. Replaced with a one piece. Sure do miss ability to vent in fresh air from there.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/07/2004

View Profile



Posted: 08/26/21 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevenal wrote:

Covered by the cabover and inside the draft of the truck cab, this is our preferred window to keep open for our pets' comfort in all weather but dust.


I agree - this is my "go to" window for ventilation during a downpour!

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

Senior Member

Joined: 01/15/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/26/21 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info - we rarely drive in heavy rainfall and that could be a reason for no leaks.
I think the manufacturer is cost cutting - eliminate the cost of a sliding window - and keep the sale price the same = more profit.

Besides, how many people have a cat or dog that use the pass through window? Or need fresh air circulation in any weather?

I've custom ordered a 15" x 30" pass-through window to replace the factory fixed glass.
Waiting for delivery now. . .

EYEMLOST

See Above

Full Member

Joined: 03/20/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/26/21 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1998 FWC Granby

The 15 year it spent being towed on a HMMWV trailer: Zip/zero/nada leaks.

Since being mounted on my '94 Bronco: Zero leaks.


1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

EYEMLOST

See Above

Full Member

Joined: 03/20/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/26/21 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bighatnohorse wrote:

Thanks for the info - we rarely drive in heavy rainfall and that could be a reason for no leaks.
I think the manufacturer is cost cutting - eliminate the cost of a sliding window - and keep the sale price the same = more profit.

Besides, how many people have a cat or dog that use the pass through window? Or need fresh air circulation in any weather?

I've custom ordered a 15" x 30" pass-through window to replace the factory fixed glass.
Waiting for delivery now. . .

How do you know it's "more profit"???


The cost of doing business also goes up......

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/27/21 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bighatnohorse wrote:

One manufacturer in particular is telling it's dealers that they stopped installing pass-through windows that open because the window leaks.


If I left a roof vent open slightly while traveling in the rain (I had a vent cover on it) the window below the cabover didn't leak.

The one time I drove with the vent closed, the window leaked.

The problem is that a vacuum gets created when going down the road, if all vents are closed. The differential in air pressure sucked water in through the sliding window track on that front window.

The dealer described this to me when I told them about the leak.
After that trip I replaced the window with a solid window from Motion Glass in Vancouver, WA. They custom build windows.

Quote:

I think the manufacturer is cost cutting - eliminate the cost of a sliding window - and keep the sale price the same = more profit.

Nope. That manufacturer really did ditch that slider due to so many customer complaints about it leaking.
I've heard this from the factory.

JoeChiOhki wrote:

I suppose it depends on the model of window and the quality of the install.

It's actually water coming in through the window track, not the quality of the installation of the window.


2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 11/20/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/27/21 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

bighatnohorse wrote:

One manufacturer in particular is telling it's dealers that they stopped installing pass-through windows that open because the window leaks.


If I left a roof vent open slightly while traveling in the rain (I had a vent cover on it) the window below the cabover didn't leak.

The one time I drove with the vent closed, the window leaked.

The problem is that a vacuum gets created when going down the road, if all vents are closed. The differential in air pressure sucked water in through the sliding window track on that front window.

The dealer described this to me when I told them about the leak.
After that trip I replaced the window with a solid window from Motion Glass in Vancouver, WA. They custom build windows.

Quote:

I think the manufacturer is cost cutting - eliminate the cost of a sliding window - and keep the sale price the same = more profit.

Nope. That manufacturer really did ditch that slider due to so many customer complaints about it leaking.
I've heard this from the factory.

JoeChiOhki wrote:

I suppose it depends on the model of window and the quality of the install.

It's actually water coming in through the window track, not the quality of the installation of the window.


There's been more than one thread over the years on here where folks had to get replacement windows because the assembly of the original window was so poor that it was like having nothing more than a window screen in place.

Throw in the slap in and done construction quality of most RVs these days, if its not the track leaking, its the butyl tape (or lack there of) around the window allowing water to also infiltrate into the frame.

Bedlam

PNW

Moderator

Joined: 06/13/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/28/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Arctic Fox window leaked only once and it was due to driving rain from the side. The two trucks I had with sliding windows did not leak.


Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Do pass-through windows leak?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.