|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Absorption fridge 2 way vs 3 way

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 04:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

Is there a substantial cost difference between 2 and 3-way? I use 12V for travel, propane for boondocking and 120 when plugged in. If I didn't prefer to travel without a flame I just wouldn't use 12V and not worry I had a 3-way.

Dave

I do this also.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

I have a 12v/120v compressor 130L fridge now, but not the chest type. Although I have 2 12v wet cells and 1 solar panel the frig can draw enough power to cause concerns over SOC. We ran into shaded campsites and clouds a few times already. I was able to keep things cool because I had a supply of frozen 2L water bottles to swap into the frig. (The issue has been remedied for now w a Honda generator.)

I think your idea is worth consideration though, especially since my favored brand Nova-Kool doesn't make a 3 way, afaik.

I have thought about a smaller 2 way compressor frig w no freezer in tandem w a stand alone chest type freezer. Perhaps the flexibility of being able to remove the chest frig is/should be a consideration.

I missed this.
I confess I have little experience with 12V fridge, but enough that I would buy one if I had to replace my camper fridge.
A friend bought 1 installed in his brand new '99 Pete. When it was 10 years old, and over a million miles on it he had to leave the truck in Texas, grab the bird home. It took me over 3 days to get there. Knowing he only had the same starting batteries that I had for my Cat, I expected to need to jumpstart the truck. When the Cat fired, the thought of 3 days in August sun made me grab a trash bag to clean out the fridge. I stole one of his ice-cream bars, put her in the wind.

VE3ESN

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steveh27 wrote:

magicbus wrote:

Is there a substantial cost difference between 2 and 3-way? I use 12V for travel, propane for boondocking and 120 when plugged in. If I didn't prefer to travel without a flame I just wouldn't use 12V and not worry I had a 3-way.

Dave

I do this also.

We also use 12 V when traveling. However, one time when the 12 V stopped working (bad fuse, found out later), I decided to tun the fridge on 120 VAC using the inverter, and found that the fridge seemed to cool better. Apparently, as others in different forums have noted, the 120 V heating element has a higher wattage rating (therefore more heat) than the 12 V element.

Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

True, some people are uncomfortable running on propane while traveling.

I continue to be amazed by this statement. People will spend large sums of money to get a "nice" trailer so they can camp in comfort. You have onboard water, heat and a water system that will provide hot running water and showers. Wow, what luxury. Gas/propane refrigerators are DISIGNED to run on gas, even when going down the road. I have asked over the decades, now, if anyone can produce one verifiable incident of a problem with a fridge catching fire or exploding. None, zip, zero examples all this time. OK, I respect those who don't "feel comfortable" running with propane. If you are one of those then you need to look into a system that allows you to run on electricity when on the road. I am sure there are systems out there. I would guess that these will be a bit more expensive than the classic 120V/propane options.

For short trips, this will never be an issue. But consider taking off for 4-6 weeks during the summer. Some say they pack their fridge with frozen blocks of ice. Others say they take along an extra ice box. What? You just paid oodles of bucks on a trailer and you are still packing ice boxes? Just can't get my head around this logic. Of course I am 70 and have been camping for a very long time. I have over 55K miles on my current trailer and......not a single problem with running my fridge the way it was designed. If it were so dangerous, why do all the major manufacturers still make them?

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 03:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I would guess that these will be a bit more expensive than the classic 120V/propane options.
. I posed this question earlier. I couldn’t see a noticeable price difference between the 3-way and 2-way models so I would get the 3-way so I have the option of 12V in case I ever needed it.

BTW, I am “uncomfortable” traveling with a trailer even though it is designed for doing that. Doesn’t mean there is an issue with trailers, just personal preference, which is why I have always had a motor home.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Absorption fridge 2 way vs 3 way
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.