|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with a 2022 Ford F250 7.3L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/21 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone,

Now looking more into the 250

I was looking into the independent touch screen Navigation that comes with the XLT Pkg. Also with the Pkg comes camera pro trailer backup camera. Getting the pkg along with a few other minor things would set me back almost another 5K. No monthly cost from ford for the navigation.

Now on the XL and 5k less I was told the Navigation screen will work off my phone GPS via bluetooth

any pro's & con's on the 2 navigations?

Truck I'm looking at now would have a 6' bed or 148" wheel base. I did a online search, says for 148" wheel base truck, trailer should be no more than a 30'. I'm looking at now is a 25' trailer but in future wondering would be an acceptable max trailer length

Thank you for your replies/opinions
Mike

* This post was edited 08/25/21 03:59pm by mdcamping *

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors.

Where we have camped

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run waze from my phone and garmin while towing.

Two numbers you need to be concerned with, payload and tow wt. 250 should be fine for the trailer... however, you might consider high capacity tow package or 350 to tow everything except monster trailers

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/21 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apple Maps work well for me when on paved roads. Off highway I use Forest Maps app.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^ The F350 SRW is about $300 more than the F250 with high capacity tow package .... Although the two trucks will be identical other than badging, the f350 will give you considerably more payload, if you are at all concerned about the number on the door sticker.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mdcamping wrote:

Hello everyone,

Now looking more into the 250

I was looking into the independent touch screen Navigation that comes with the XLT Pkg. Also with the Pkg comes camera pro trailer backup camera. Getting the pkg along with a few other minor things would set me back almost another 5K. No monthly cost from ford for the navigation.

Now on the XL and 5k less I was told the Navigation screen will work off my phone GPS via bluetooth

any pro's & con's on the 2 navigations?

Truck I'm looking at now would have a 6' bed or 148" wheel base. I did a online search, says for 148" wheel base truck, trailer should be no more than a 30'. I'm looking at now is a 25' trailer but in future wondering would be an acceptable max trailer length

Thank you for your replies/opinions
Mike

From what I am seeing. the 7.3 gas engine. They call it Godzilla. Is a monster. Every test I see the truck guys do. The 7.3 shins like the sun.

As for that 30' trailer mythical rule of thumb. Not really true. the tow capacities say nothing about trailer length. and with a 250. 30' would be nothing. It much more depends on the rear over hang than the Wheel base. Meaning how far the hitch point is from the rear axle. In truth there are many more things to consider than just the Wheelbase. Like how well the TT is balanced, and how well the WDH is setup.

I towed a 31' TT with a 145"WB F150. Absolutely 0 sway.

As for the navigation working off the phone. Remember the phone navigation works off cell towers, and not satellite. If you get into an area with poor cell service. you will lose your navigation. In other words. The cell phone navigation has a poor chance of working in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and many areas around the NC, and SC coast. Anywhere, where there are few cell towers, it will be challenged.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I travel for work, renting cars weekly. And all 4 of my personal vehicles have Nav. I never use the built in Nav, always use Waze or google maps. Real time traffic reports, accident alerts, up to date maps and road conditions, and will tell you about police activity.

Yes, you need phone service when you begin your journey, but never after that. In traveling everything west of the Mississippi the only place I’ve had any trouble was Alaska. For me, lack of cell service has been a non issue.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/21 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Bionic -

My wife's 2018 Explorer. my 2019 F150 and 2020 F350 ALL have Navigation and we use Waze when travelling... And sometimes Google Maps.. Since Waze came out a few years back, we have NOT even turned the screen in the truck to Nav....

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/21 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I keep my vehicles a long time, so when OnStar dropped me in a few years and Ford stopped updates for the in dash systems they are something I don't want to pay serious money for anymore. If you are buying for more than a few years, look carefully at how they may obsolete the expensive junk.

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/21 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All built in navigation systems are sometimes several years behind. In fact my F350 was almost 4 years behind showing new roads when it was brand new.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/21 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pros and cons are the same as any other built in navigation system.

Pro: It's convenient.

Cons: You can't take it with you to another vehicle that doesn't have navigation. There is likely a monthly subscription fee, and likely a double-whammy there because you also need to subscribe to the data package as well.

I opted out of all that on my truck when I bought it in 2015. By the time I was done with the phone service, navigation, data, and satellite radio, it was another $100+ a month to the payment! That was an additoinal 20% a month on my truck!

* This post was edited 08/26/21 08:06am by mkirsch *

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with a 2022 Ford F250 7.3L
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.