|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with a 2022 Ford F250 7.3L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/21 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Pros for built in Nav are that it is satellite based and not cellular based, so it works everywhere unlike cellular. I live on the west coast and no cellular in the mountains, my Nav system works but my Verizon cell does not. I do use Waze more than anything when traveling or needing to know where traffic is, but for general nav, I use the vehicle nav. When towing if I don't know where I am going I use the truck Nav. The other problem with a cellular nav, if you are using the phone for something else, you lose the nav to some extent. It used to be with Verizon data stopped when you were using the phone, but now that has changed so a map does continue to update, but it wasn't always that way and may or may not be with your cell service, and the area you are in.

The other main pro is resale value, an XLT is worth more than $5K more than an XL on resale given all other factors are the same. The upgrade is more than just Nav typically, upgraded radio, maybe leather, etc.

As for subscriptions, I have had XM radios in 2 of my 3 cars since 2011. I have never paid more than $50-$100 per year. I travel a lot in my work car and XM is great as I can listen to the same radio station regardless of where I am. In my 3rd car I just use the app to stream to the car radio, if I have cell service, sucks when we go to the mountains and I have to listen to the old songs I have saved on my phone. I have a Chev so I stopped paying for OnStar a long time ago.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/21 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never paid for a navigation subscription in any of my trucks??

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/21 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Neither have I. Google maps comes free on my phone, so why would I?

All I know is GM wanted $9 a month or something like that for Nav, and I had to subscribe to a data plan above and beyond that.

Maybe Ford is different, but I have my doubts. No corporation worth its salt gives away anything they can charge for. Most likely they incorporated the nav subscription into your monthly payment and you have no idea you're paying for it. If that's the case, says a lot about Ford and their business practices.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/21 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not pay extra just for navigation on any vehicle that comes with CarPlay or whatever the Android version is. You can also play music from your phone and do handsfree calling. Lots of functionality there.

I have an older version retrofitted into my truck and love it. Just requires a cable to my phone instead of bluetooth.

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/21 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Neither have I. You don't need a subscription to use the in dash GPS in my Ford Taurus. All you have to do is up date it every few years. Just order a new sim card. $35.00 off amazon. Bam instant up date, and you NEVER lose satellite signal, like you do cell service. Which happened to me at Cherry grove just 4 weeks ago.

PLUS, and this is big for me. the in dash GPS shows me a picture of the exit, and which lane to use to get off the interstate. The phone does not.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/21 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

Neither have I. Google maps comes free on my phone, so why would I?

All I know is GM wanted $9 a month or something like that for Nav, and I had to subscribe to a data plan above and beyond that.

Maybe Ford is different, but I have my doubts. No corporation worth its salt gives away anything they can charge for. Most likely they incorporated the nav subscription into your monthly payment and you have no idea you're paying for it. If that's the case, says a lot about Ford and their business practices.

no subscription needed to use Ford's indash GPS. Just update it every few years.
Thing is If you lose cell service. Your phone can't tell you how far it is to your exit, because it doesn't know. Satellites always know.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/21 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

^^^ The F350 SRW is about $300 more than the F250 with high capacity tow package .... Although the two trucks will be identical other than badging, the f350 will give you considerably more payload, if you are at all concerned about the number on the door sticker.

Ride "quality", especially empty, is worse on a F350.

We'll See

IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/21 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, are you getting the regular cab, extended cab or crew cab? The bed lengths for the 250/350 are either 6.75' or 8'.

The wheelbase you mention of 148" would not be for a crew cab truck. Crew cab f150s with a 5.5' bed have 145" wheelbases.

Jeep and Explorer

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/21 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll See wrote:

OP, are you getting the regular cab, extended cab or crew cab? The bed lengths for the 250/350 are either 6.75' or 8'.

The wheelbase you mention of 148" would not be for a crew cab truck. Crew cab f150s with a 5.5' bed have 145" wheelbases.

yeah I rounded low, it's an extended cab/super cab 6.75' 148" wheelbase

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors.

Where we have camped

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/21 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yikes I got to ask more questions concerning the Navigation, ford said there was no monthy charge for the independent touch screen Navigation but I will check into this.

We have an very old, lower cost Verizon plan with unlimited data (no plans to ever give up the plan) so I am still on the fence on a direction to go concerning the XL vs XLT Navigation

Thanks
Mike

and still researching trucks [emoticon]

Mike

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with a 2022 Ford F250 7.3L
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.