|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Hot water tank drain plug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/21 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob213 wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

Open the vent on the hot water heater and your low point water drains. The water will then drain from the heater. Or at least mine does.

Draining thru the low point drain is a good way to get all that sediment in the tank into your water lines. I would avoid that method.

Impossible to unless someone has misplumbed the tank and reversed the inlet for the outlet..

[image]

Cold water inlet is on the bottom of the tank.

Hot water outlet takes the hottest water from the top of the tank.

Low drain points will never be able to siphon enough water from the hot water tank to ever get any "solids" like sand, dirt, scale.

I would also caution anyone that attempts to only siphon without pulling the drain plug.. Since the hot water outlet is very high in the tank, it will not siphon enough water out of the tank for freeze protection as most RVs will have a check valve on the cold water inlet which is there to prevent hot water from being siphoned from the tank via the cold water inlet..

Be lazy at your own risk!

Takes only a couple of seconds to remove the plug in a Attwood using a socket and wrench. Don't be lazy and fool hardy, it may end up biting you in the behind the next camping season.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

Open the vent on the hot water heater and your low point water drains. The water will then drain from the heater. Or at least mine does.

Not sure why so many people want to reinvent the wheel. This is how I do it as well. Didn't cost me a penny.

Any sediment that might be in the tank would be flushed every few trips, as I drain the water heater every few trips. Also, when I drain my low points, I get several gallons of HOT water (steaming hot) that drains from by low point. That's more than what would just be in the line. Its clearly draining the majority of the water heater.

Been doing this for 11 years. Never had any issue with a split water heater tank.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Hot water tank drain plug
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.