|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Cab/chassis vs standard DRW

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I was told in Virginia you have to register for max GCW you intend, so went with a large number (25000lbs).

Your state as other members have reported their state use a GCW number for registration purposes. Thats the number you can't exceed while pulling a trailer in your state. And of course you can't exceed your vehicles axle/tire load ratings which is generic in all states.

Now what weights does your state use for a overloaded vehicle. You get all types of opinions on a rv website so what I do and recommend is drop by your local state troop post and ask their size and weights enforcement officers that question.

While some other states as you see have some type of tonnage/gvw or that type of weight to use for registration purposes. Seems like folks from these states think all states are the same ....when their not.

Or like I said above my state as other members have stated have no weights for registration purposes (non commercial vehicle).

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/21 12:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ognend wrote:

Do Cab&Chassis trucks weigh more than standard DRW trucks (all other things equal)?

I bought a 2021 3500 Chevy DRW cab/chassis gasser, crew cab, 4x4. The stated payload on Chevy's website for an "equivalent" gasser (3500 DRW, crew cab, 4x4) is 6610 lbs, stated GVWR is 14,000lbs.

Since my vehicle is "incomplete", can I assume the same payload (6610 lbs) plus whatever the weight of the "deleted" bed would be on the equivalent 8ft pickup, minus whatever flatbed I installed?

In practical terms, I have a Hillsboro GII steel bed that weighs 1230lbs. If I assume that the 8ft DRW bed weighs 500lbs, can I do 6610lbs + 500 lbs - 1230 lbs = payload of 5880lbs on my cab/chassis equivalent?

Thanks!

So back to OP's question - I'm almost certain the pickup with bed deleted will be lighter than a CC, assuming same engine, options, wheelbase, etc.

A boxed frame is stronger than a C-channel pound for pound. Their shape is also easier to optimize to squeeze out more weight to strength ratios. With a c-channel, you have to be straight and uniform in cross-section for up-fitting.

ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/21 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyJ wrote:

ognend wrote:

Do Cab&Chassis trucks weigh more than standard DRW trucks (all other things equal)?

I bought a 2021 3500 Chevy DRW cab/chassis gasser, crew cab, 4x4. The stated payload on Chevy's website for an "equivalent" gasser (3500 DRW, crew cab, 4x4) is 6610 lbs, stated GVWR is 14,000lbs.

Since my vehicle is "incomplete", can I assume the same payload (6610 lbs) plus whatever the weight of the "deleted" bed would be on the equivalent 8ft pickup, minus whatever flatbed I installed?

In practical terms, I have a Hillsboro GII steel bed that weighs 1230lbs. If I assume that the 8ft DRW bed weighs 500lbs, can I do 6610lbs + 500 lbs - 1230 lbs = payload of 5880lbs on my cab/chassis equivalent?

Thanks!

So back to OP's question - I'm almost certain the pickup with bed deleted will be lighter than a CC, assuming same engine, options, wheelbase, etc.

A boxed frame is stronger than a C-channel pound for pound. Their shape is also easier to optimize to squeeze out more weight to strength ratios. With a c-channel, you have to be straight and uniform in cross-section for up-fitting.

Thank you. This is my impression as I cannot explain the difference in weights/payloads.

--
2021 Chevrolet 3500 DRW Cab&Chassis crew cab 4x4 6.6L gas with 9ft4" flatbed
2021 Palomino HS-2902 Max truck camper
2007 Double D all steel 2-horse bumper pull trailer

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/21 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Difference in frame design is why it would be good to know if the vehicle is a pickup with box delete ot is a true cab and chassis.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But 5 pages later, does it actually matter?
OP has the truck, the flatbed and the camper. Either it is a good setup, or not so much. All minutia at this point.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Cab/chassis vs standard DRW
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.