|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram 3500 issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Ram's 4wd system disengages the front axle completely when not in use unlike the Ford system which keeps the front axle spinning at all times, but locks the hubs when power to the wheels is needed.

Fords U joints/axles only turn in 4wd. That's the beauty of having locking hubs on the front axle. There is after market locking hub upgrades for a Ram.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

...There is after market locking hub upgrades for a Ram.

The upgrade is buying a Ford. Plus, you get a working heater and AC at no extra cost. LOL.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui (La fiat wee-wee), I understand why.
The only thing more incompetent than Ram is Bye-don and his supporters.

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

Ram's 4wd system disengages the front axle completely when not in use unlike the Ford system which keeps the front axle spinning at all times, but locks the hubs when power to the wheels is needed.

Fords U joints/axles only turn in 4wd. That's the beauty of having locking hubs on the front axle. There is after market locking hub upgrades for a Ram.

I stand corrected. I was under a different impression. I am not a fan of Ford's auto hub system though. Sold a lot of them back in the say when I worked at a Ford dealership and every person that I know who has them have had them fail to move the the wheels in auto. Most recently my father in law with his 2019 about a two years ago trying to get out of the sand in Port A. Same happen with my brother's 2012 multiple times. Worked great a few times, but had to get out and actually lock them most of the times.

This is why I am not a fan of auto locking hubs. Out of the hundreds of times I used my 4wd in my Ram at the farm, deer lease, and elsewhere, it has never failed. But the first time my father in law used the auto locking hubs in his new truck, he had to get out and actually lock them. Due to the design of the Ram's 4wd system, I see not need for locking hubs and an upgrade to one would be pointless unless you want to add more complexity to your system.

* This post was last edited 09/09/21 08:02am by ShinerBock *   View edit history

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

IdaD wrote:

The hubs are always locked, but there's a center axle disconnect so your front driveline doesn't spin in 2wd. I prefer the old style manual hubs so none of the front driveline components spin in 2wd. It never took too much effort to plan ahead and not have to get out in the mud to lock the hubs.

Bingo. So much confusion, that just a cursory peek at and a little turning of axles/driveshafts would explain very matter of factly...

No confusion here . Just assumed I had auto hubs when shifting into 4 hi or low . The system has work flawlessly for over 7 years now. I could care less what's turning ,and what's not. If I was worried I would install a hub disconnect .

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

It was the beauty of having manual hubs on my 99 Super Duty when I finally go rid of the OE manual, auto hubs, plugged off the vacuum lines ,and went with a set of manual hubs.

No desire to have to upgrade as you say to aftermarket on my Ram, there are no issues . Just the Ford I had is the one that problems with the beauty of OE locking hubs [emoticon]

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devo the dog wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

The upgrade is buying a Ford. Plus, you get a working heater and AC at no extra cost. LOL.

I got lucky I got working hubs , heater ,and AC on my Ram .[emoticon] I can't say the same for my previous Ford , just unlucky there.

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Devo the dog wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I got lucky I got working hubs , heater ,and AC on my Ram

That doesn't mean much - you got lucky and never required a repair.

Ram is the only manufacture we have ever owned that won't honor a warranty.

From numerous threads I've read, I'm sure they'd put a spot weld on the AC and heater if a dodge knuckle dragger said it would fix the problem. Apparently, a spot weld was the common factory fix for almost anything that broke on the older dodges.

* This post was edited 09/09/21 11:28am by Devo the dog *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Ha, can’t argue with that! I still can’t believe FCAs solution to the drag link or tie rod thing was to goob a tack weld on something that shouldn’t come loose in the first place.

None of us know what you’ve gone through with your Ram and how diligently you’ve pursued it. Never saw a thread bout multiple dealers, arbitration, lemon law, etc.
And no one knows the whole story except you.

But what is absolutely fcking hilarious is why you still have the truck. Trucks are selling for stupid money now. Is it that bad off that no one would buy it for a good price from you? You’ve exhausted all the options and accept that the company won’t fix your little issues with it?

Your story, while plausible. We’ve most of us had a lemon at some point, but just complaining incessantly “should” be wearing on even you!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

I stand corrected. I was under a different impression. I am not a fan of Ford's auto hub system though. Sold a lot of them back in the say when I worked at a Ford dealership and every person that I know who has them have had them fail to move the the wheels in auto. Most recently my father in law with his 2019 about a two years ago trying to get out of the sand in Port A. Same happen with my brother's 2012 multiple times. Worked great a few times, but had to get out and actually lock them most of the times.

This is why I am not a fan of auto locking hubs. Out of the hundreds of times I used my 4wd in my Ram at the farm, deer lease, and elsewhere, it has never failed. But the first time my father in law used the auto locking hubs in his new truck, he had to get out and actually lock them. Due to the design of the Ram's 4wd system, I see not need for locking hubs and an upgrade to one would be pointless unless you want to add more complexity to your system.

On my last two Super Duty's with a combined ~ +400,000 miles I never had a failure or a glitch with engaging my 4wd system, and I literally switch them to 4wd when I drive in to my hunting ranch whether it's rain or shine just to simply lube the transfer case and splash some lube around in the front diff which means I probably engaged 4wd thousands of times and never had a problem. On another Ford forum I read it's like a never reported problem.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Dog” ya sold that POS yet now that prices are super high?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram 3500 issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.