RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: General Sherman Giant Tree

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> General Sherman Giant Tree

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
klr650goldwing

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/21 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In about a month we'll be leaving MN and heading to the General Sherman giant Sequoia tree in California. Our route will travel south out of MN on I35 until we intersect I80 in Iowa where we'll head west on I80. We'll travel west to the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve in Colorado near Alamosa. Next we'll head west to drive through Monument Valley in Utah and head south to the Grand Canyon in AZ. The route is flexible. Please advise us on places to camp along the way, RV parks, campgrounds etc. and things to see and do. After visiting the giant tree we'll head for the wine country north of San Francisco. All of your recommendations will be carefully considered. Thank you.

2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/21 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The General Sherman Tree is fine but Yosemite has several stands of sequoia, maybe not as big but still very big and a lot more fantastic things to see. Its also a lot easier to get to that park. That late in the year you should be able to get in, the escapee have a cg right outside the park, think it's called the Park of the Sierras - Escapees Park in Coasegold.
Great Sand Dunes has a good cg in the park, no hookups. You did not specify what sort of cg you want. There are many places to visit in the Monument Valley area, Cortez CO makes a good base camp for that area. There is one good cg that I don't have the name for now. But Mesa Verde, Trail of the Ancients, Natural Bridges, Canyonlands and a lot more are all near there.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

The General Sherman Tree is fine but Yosemite has several stands of sequoia, maybe not as big but still very big and a lot more fantastic things to see. Its also a lot easier to get to that park. That late in the year you should be able to get in, the escapee have a cg right outside the park, think it's called the Park of the Sierras - Escapees Park in Coasegold.
Great Sand Dunes has a good cg in the park, no hookups. You did not specify what sort of cg you want. There are many places to visit in the Monument Valley area, Cortez CO makes a good base camp for that area. There is one good cg that I don't have the name for now. But Mesa Verde, Trail of the Ancients, Natural Bridges, Canyonlands and a lot more are all near there.

If you make it that far, go to both. Sequoia NP is awesome. I have no idea what you mean about easier to get to...if anything Yosmite is more difficult but really neither is a big challenge.

To the OP: Based on your post, I assume NP and the like are a priority:
- Consider on the way out, going north across I-80 so you can hit Rocky Mountain NP, then Dinosaur NM before swinging south thru Bryce NP and Zion NP. Then you can hit the N. Rim of Grand Canyon NP. Swing by Death Valley NP.
- On the return consider your original route (It's further south so better for later in the season.

How long do you have? We did a similar trip at the same time last year. Also hit Joshua Tree, Congaree and several National Monuments but we had all winter.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gouldings RV park in Monument Valley is a good stopping place. FHU and they have tours hosted by native Americans that take you on land and to sights that is otherwise not accessible to the general public.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of great boondocking sites around Tusayan at the GCNP south entrance.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try to spend a few days at Sequoia -- lots to do and see. Great hiking. Much cooler and less crowded than Yosemite Valley. And, if you are there in the winter, great snow-shoeing -- that's DW in the lower right corner of the photo. This was taken in Congress Grove, not far from the Sherman Tree.

And no, this is not a trick shot -- those trees really are astonishingly big. Standing amongst them is like being in a cathedral:

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

mlpeloquin

San Jose, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is amazing standing near General Grand and General Sherman. One branch fell years ago, and I think the sign that was posted said it could have built a 2000 sq ft home. Sequoia trees once covered Nevada and other states. Weather changes do to the Himalayas rising in altitude caused the earths weather pattern to change. The US west turned to desert and south east Asia desert turned to rain forest.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you leave for anywhere in NoCal, check the fire status.

klr650goldwing

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the many good ideas. We have as much time as we need to do this trip right and see what is there to see. I really appreciate your ideas so far. We might not make it out that way again so we'd prefer to see it all on this trip, or at least most of it.

We are open to any type of camping, have a generator and can boondock, but the wife prefers RV parks. However, she has liked state parks too.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the Sequoia area, I'd recommend Sequoia RV Ranch. If you have a toad, it's about 45 minutes up to Congress Grove. Don't take a big rig up Highway 198 -- very twisty.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> General Sherman Giant Tree
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.