RV.Net Open Roads Forum: BUYING NEW RV OUT-OF-STATE -- ANY TAX PLUS OR MINUS???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> BUYING NEW RV OUT-OF-STATE -- ANY TAX PLUS OR MINUS???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Rollochrome

Fort Worth, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/21 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only place I can see that has the RV I want is just over the state line.

I dont think they charge sales tax if you buy it out of state, but when I go to have it titled in my state, the DMV charges sales tax at that point.

Is that a correct understanding?

I dont think there is an advantage, but I do want to make double sure that I am not DOUBLE taxed.

1999 Saved By Grace Alone Thru Faith Alone! Thank You Jesus!
2019 F-350 LWB 6.7 4wd XLT-FX4-3.31 on Michelin Defender LTX M/S
2022 3850BH Cruiser South Fork on Carlisle CSL 16

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NYS will find you! And squeeze every cent from youwhen you register here. If you have a receipt for $100. They will doc you for the "try value"

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got hit 2x with my old RV when I moved. I paid it in MD when I bought it and paid it again when I registered in NC. Not sure how that's legal but it happens. I bought a new FW in SC and registered in NC and paid the tax in my home state only. Same with my new truck, bought it in MD while in NC and paid the NC taxes. And I also have to pay the property tax every year.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought both our current RV and TV in Washington, and didn’t pay Washington sales tax on either. Not sure now days as Washington previously allowed with proof of Oregon residents that you just didn’t pay the tax. Now as I understand I would need to pay the tax then request a refund from the state, you could only file once a year.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some states do it differently from others. Only way to know for sure is to call your state DMV. At least if they give you the wrong info, you can blame it on the government. [emoticon]

FWIW we bought our 5th wheel in Tennessee, and only paid the sales tax in our home state.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Rocky2

Ventura, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Notice that the OP is from Texas. You can confirm with their DMV how it will be treated.

delwhjr

TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rollochrome wrote:

The only place I can see that has the RV I want is just over the state line.

I dont think they charge sales tax if you buy it out of state, but when I go to have it titled in my state, the DMV charges sales tax at that point.

Is that a correct understanding?

I dont think there is an advantage, but I do want to make double sure that I am not DOUBLE taxed.

We have bought a few trailers out of state. You will have to pay state tax at some point. The dealers we have worked with all did things differently. One did not collect any tax and we paid when we got back( BEWARE in Texas there is a penalty if you take too long to get titled and pay the tax) Another dealer collected all the taxes (correct amounts) and sent in the paperwork for us, received title in a few weeks. Another one charged a small fee ( a token amount) to fill out the paper work and we took it with us when we left; paid the taxes when we got back.
So, check with the dealer as to what their procedure is before you go and maybe bring the forms with you to fill out.

2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is a dealer contact them and ask them. If they are just over the line, likely they know the rules better than the DMV.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Waytoroll I almost got caught in that MD to NC tax deal. But since I maintain a house in MD I just left everything registered there. No inspection, no property tax, no emissions. Our new Honda registered here property tax was $500+ first year and $400+ 2nd year property tax.
To respond to the OP, my experience buying out of state you pay sales tax where you register it.

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

delwhjr wrote:

Another dealer collected all the taxes (correct amounts) and sent in the paperwork for us, received title in a few weeks.

I bought a new fifth-wheel in Florida and the dealer followed the practice above. When I went to register the trailer at the County Tax Office here in Texas, the lady who issued my plates said that he had done it exactly right. The tax was due in Texas, my state of residence, not in Florida.

EDIT to add: I bought an auto in Louisiana and the dealer there sold many autos to residents of Texas. Same procedure about Taxes as on the RV from Florida. It was routine for both dealers.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> BUYING NEW RV OUT-OF-STATE -- ANY TAX PLUS OR MINUS???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.