|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Storm alert Cat 4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well it looks as though we will have 90-100 MPH winds where we live. Just put a new roof on house so we will test the 130 MPH guarantee. Just checked and all service stations in town are out of gas and has limited diesel. Fortunately we have a good supply. I just hope my neighbors are prepared as flying debris can do a lot damage.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wishing you the best of luck. Hope everyone weathers it safely.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 04:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best of both safety and comfort for you and your family! I've suffered through too many hurricanes and tropical storms to count. Having full power for A/C and water pressure is a real luxury. I brought a dozen sheets of inch and an eighth marine plywood years ago and they can withstand a ten pound flying coconut or palm frond.

Windyty site says Las Peñas is due for 18" of rain before Sunday night. And the seas have to be higher than 21' to reach the beach ramp which is now getting pounded. I am safe in my medical hideout while the kids weather the storm. Jesús bought a 21K air conditioner 254 volt unit. So they will try to get some sleep during all the roaring howling and banging.

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not looking good for New Orleans on the anniversary of Katrina.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow mexico wanderer I didn't realize that this storm Ida would have such affect on Mexico.
We are just north of expected storm surge but expect lots of flooding due to rain. If it comes ashore as cat 4 we expect winds in excess of 100 mph. Lost roofs downed trees and power lines will be the norm. We have seen many of these things and as long as we don't experience a tornado following the hurricane we will be OK. We long ago cut down any tall or big trees near us.

Hunker down and stay safe.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What we learned from Florence is that surviving the storm is one thing, the aftermath is a whole other set of problems. It was 3 weeks until we could return to the area here in Wilmington. No power, no fuel, no food, roads closed from flooding and debris. Thank goodness we used our RV and evacuated to MD. We stayed there for a month until things were OK to return. That's one of the big advantages to having an RV, it's a great escape pod. Provided you leave soon enough. Wait too long and evacuation clogs up highways and fuel is nowhere to be found. I think you have to get a head of it by about 4 days. Good luck and I hope you guys stay safe.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/21 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum, is there an evacuation of people (who do not own cars) out of New Orleans this time? So many were were stranded (and died) during Katrina because of lack of communication between the Mayor and Governor regarding use of school buses and city buses to evacuate those people.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to my Writer Friend in New Orleans.
Governor says likely to be the worst storm ever to hit state

As for the projected path
Well if you draw concentract circle bands black and red (Target) X marks New Orleans

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hurricane Ida nearing Category 5 strength with 150 mph winds

[image]

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cannot imagine the agony of being so impoverished as to make evacuation impossible. The Big Easy is below sea level and nothing short of a 100 foot tall berm surrounding the city, gigantic rotary screw pumps and self contained power generation would limit the danger.

Down here, Las Peñas is built atop a rocky 100' to 200' tall promontory. But electric power is vulnerable and so are food stocks.

I've described how my converted bus is chain anchored and powered with a diesel generator, and has 800 gallons of exterior water reservoirs.

But I'll state this, even with massive food storage, dehumidifiers, and air conditioning, life is miserable after a hurricane. The destruction and misery of the less fortunate takes away any glow of a bloom of hyper preparation.

A gravel filled bucket is hoisted 27' atop a sea crag as an indicator. It probably could withstand 200 mph wind. It was missing this morning. A wave took it. The storm removed 70% of the tan colored sand off the beach and deposited tons of plumb size rocks.

This was a Pacific hurricane not the nightmare that came ashore in Louisiana. And to top it off they are all worried about me. Grandpa and the virus.

Please stay safe everyone.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Storm alert Cat 4
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.