|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Atlanta

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/21 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are thinking of going to Savanna Ga from west Ky next year. We have a 38’ tt. Is it better to go straight through Atlanta on I-75 or take the bypass around the east side?

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I'd spend the extra 1 hour driving time and head towards Knoxville, then down. I avoid Atlanta at all costs -- straight through or by-pass -- both terrible (lived there for 4 years). But, that's just me.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/21 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve drove through lots of times,lived south of Macon for awhile. I’ve pulled small horse trailers through several times,but never anything as big as this.I know that unless you are delivering in the city trucks aren’t allowed through on I-75, but not sure about travel trailers.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/21 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travel trailers can go through I-75. I've done it both ways with my 5er. Straight through on I-75 and then the bypass. Done both bypasses (East and West). If you can't avoid Atlanta entirely, I would just go through in middle of the day, straight on I-75. Stay in second lane from right, as several right lanes end up being exit only. My 5er is 40 foot.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The route over through the The Carolinas doesn't add a lot of miles to Key West, and is shorter to Savannah. However it would take you up or down what is likely the steepest interstate in the southeast, I-26 from Hendersonville, NC to the South Carolina line.

Atlanta I always go straight thru. The road surface is good. I-285 is rough, especially the west side. However I often use I-20 out to Madison GA, US-441 south to I-16. This trades the south side for the east side, lots less traffic on I-20 for the 20 extra miles.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/21 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

285 is a parking lot very often and worse IMO. I always do I-75 to I-20 going that way. Don't hit it at rush hours though, its very bad many of time, like a 30 mph crawl for an hour or more and then full stop while a wreck is cleared. I go through there around 1pm to 3pm fairly quick, its always busy though. I worked down town for years.

I was on I-20 at 6pm a couple months ago and it was like bumper cars, parts flying everywhere. The traffic there is nuts and the drivers are very reckless. Big commercial trucks tail gating bad, lots of collisions. Saw four major wrecks in 30 miles going west bound from Augusta. One wreck involved about 6 semis and a dozen or more cars. I had to weave in and out of three lanes missing debris with my 5th wheel.

So, avoid the ATL at peak times. Better off to park it and wait IMO unless you can hit it at off peak times. They fly on I-75, its very interesting after 5pm on a week day. I was running 65 mph with the RV and they pass you like your not moving! I travel from Chattanooga down though Atlanta occasionally with the 5th wheel, I hate that area after 3pm.

Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I lived down there in ‘90 , when on I-75 through Atlanta if you weren’t running 85mph they would push you out of their way. It was amazing!

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know where you are starting from except western Ky. Might be a little longer but not much, to come east of Atlanta. Problem might be the mountains in western NC. Sounds silly to Carolina to get to Savannah, but time wise you might save it.
Atlanta is prtty much of a roll of the dice on traffic issues. When we go come home from S Dakota we cut off of 75 in Dalton and then to Dawsonville, Gainesville to Athens. Not interstate speeds but we like that part of the country. In Gainesvillle just get on 129 toward Athens. Athens bypass (Ga 10 loop) to US 441 to Watkinsville exit. Follow US 441 to Madison, Eatonton, Milledgville to Dublin. Dublin get I-16 to Savannah. Going to be some truck traffic on 16 because of the Port at Savannah is a busy place. Not a bad ride until 16 then it is just boring to Savannah.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless Waze routes you differently we go straight through, often in the HOV lane and yes, when you get to Atlanta, you need to speed up. There are several places where the 2 right lanes become exit only lanes so I wouldn’t use the right hand lane.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/21 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to Knoxville on 75, go to Asheville and pick up 26, take 26 to 95 into Savannah and avoid Atlanta at all costs. Atlanta is the very worst city I have ever driven through and will avoid it from now on. I have done it twice and that is enough to convince me to never drive through it ever again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Atlanta
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.